News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

coils?

Started by chippee, April 15, 2012, 09:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chippee

hello,does anyone more knowledgable than me(wouldnt be hard) on here,know if the spark plug caps that have the coil in the top of the cap,fit a tiger 900.

like the ones fitted to to a sprint 955i etc.will the ones off a fuel injected bike work on a carb'd one?

thanks in advance
sean :?

Mustang

yes
you need to alter the steamer wiring a bit though

chippee

thanks mustang ,nice one :D

akendall1966

Yes i am running tt600 in mine no issue for about a year now. Search this forum and you'll find posts by neilD detailing his mod and sources for the connector. The hole in the cam cover is too big for the standard rubber bushes, so you need to bush it smaller or find something to use instead.
----AK-----

nightrunner

I have also been running the TT600 coils and they work great.  You just have to run some standard grade extension wire from the current coil mounting area over to the plugs.  And yes you need the little spade connectors used in electronics as opposed to the 1/4" ones common in automotive applications.  But beware there are two types of Triumph stick coils.  You want the really skinny ones; not the ones with flat top that bolt to the valve cover.  The problem is not the flat top but the body is too large in diameter to fit the Tiger's recessed valve cover.  Ask me how I know.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

rf9rider

Nightrunner, what did you use as a seal around the stick coils?

My Steamer 1 has the stick coils, don`t know what the rubbers are from as the previous owner fitted them.

nightrunner

Uh well, I uhm, never got around to putting anything in there to fill that gap.  I had a few ideas.  None of them very good.  So I figured I get to it later.  I'll post it up if and when I come up with a good solution.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

akendall1966

Have a look here

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,9519&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tt600&start=1

Having access to lathe I turned up a some of nylon top-hat bushes and stuck with the stock rubber bush you will see in MIMbox post and Neil Ds the hole on the tiger is too big a low for the sticks so the top-hat bush reduced the bore and support the coil above the rocker cover.

Sadly neglected to take pictures :cry:
----AK-----

chippee

thanks again for all the replies.

sean

NeilD

yep rubber feet from a zimmer frame is what you need to fill up the gap :) I passed my coils onto ROB - dont know if he ever used them on his or not?