News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another Engine Guard Project

Started by Colonel Nikolai, December 03, 2009, 05:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

I've been playing around with a pipe bender lately, thinking about building a set of engine guards for my 96 steamer. Any pointers?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

nightrunner

Cool.  Do you have a design in mind?   Copying one of the existing ones or designing your own?
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Nick Calne

I suppose the key to success will be the exact material you choose to make it from.  I wonder whether steel that is thick enough to offer proper protection will be too stiff to bend easily?  Too heavy?  Aluminium alloy?  Then there is welding it all up. Heat treatment.  Finishing?  Powder coat or paint?

I think I would investigate a triangulated aluminium structure using something like Easton bike tubing.  Then anodise it a contrasting colour from your black steamer, a bit like the red wheel rims on Mudhen's bike.  Probably not as easy as a steel one, but different.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Colonel Nikolai

I like the idea of triangulated aluminum! The only problem is I'm not too confident of my aluminum welding skills. I think I'm going to try tubular steel. If I can come up with something I really like, I'll have a go at it in aluminum -- or maybe titanium as that's easier to weld.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.