News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OIL options

Started by jphish, December 06, 2009, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

Noob here. It appears the recommended oil for my recently purchased 06 Tiger is the 15-50 Mobil 4T synthetic. Anyone use AMS 20-50 ? Any problems ?  I thought of mixing 10-40 & 20-50 AMS half & half to get 15-45. Perhaps I should just follow the manual for now. Naaa - Thats too easy... Thanks, j

John Stenhouse

OOPs, here we go again, there are always vast discussions on oil. Some will tell you one thing some another.

Try a search, but make sure you have some time as the results could be quite a long read.

Consensus seems to be use what you feel comfortable with, it's your bike.
Shell Rotella and Mobil 1 4T are the most common.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

jphish

Yeah - hate to start the 'oil wars' but still learning my way around the Tiger & value the experience (consensus if possible) of others familiar with this particular breed. The Buell BWB site has tomes written on the subject... with little enlightenment. Though they DO agree 20-50 is generally correct viscosity. I'll try the Mobil 4T as recommended - can't hurt. You are a rarity...both an 855 & 955. Any preference ? Thanks for the response. j

John Stenhouse

To be honest, having ridden both 885 and 955 I struggle to feel the difference.

kelpie_67

surely you must notice the hp difference - I have an 885i and was wondering how different they were.
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?

John Stenhouse

Not very is the answer, OK I can't ride them back to back as there's a ten hour plane ride in between, but I thought I was going to have to replace the 885 after doing 10,000 miles on the 955. Got back and the 885 still wants to pull my arms off.