News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

98 Tiger Tight Throttle

Started by intotheabis, December 16, 2009, 03:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intotheabis

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and have just bought my first Tiger.
The bike is in great shape but the throttle is extreemly tight to turn, any suggestions.
Thanks
Intotheabis

JetdocX

The throttle cable should be replaced every 24,000 miles.  It's not on the maintenance schedule, but it should be.

Yours is probably frayed, squished in the steering lock, or otherwise mangled due to the superior engineering and routing done at the Triumph factory.

Edit:  Before you go that far, though, check to make sure you have a bit of clearance between your switchgear, throttle grip and bar end.  If it's at zero clearance, move your switchgear inboard on the bar.
From parts unknown.

chairhead

Did you buy the bike from a dealer or privately?,if from a dealer,then take the bike back,theres no way it should have left the shop like that,and should be covered under warranty,depending how long ago you bought the bike.
If you bought it privatly then,theres not a lot you can do other than,make sure the cable is routed correctly,ie no kinks or twists,give it a damn good lube and as JetdocX suggested,check clearance between your switchgear, throttle grip and bar end,finally if all the above fail to resolve the problem,buy new cables.
I just hope its not sticking throttle bodies  :x depending on model of course :roll:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

intotheabis

Thanks for the info. The throttle snaps back fine, it is just when you crank it to accellerate it is tight. I bought it privately and the guy said he never noticed it being so tight but he is a fairly big guy and it may not have bothered him.
I will check it out.
Thanks
Intotheabis

intotheabis

Hi, do you know if the throttle cables are expensive?
Thanks

Quote from: "JetdocX"The throttle cable should be replaced every 24,000 miles.  It's not on the maintenance schedule, but it should be.

Yours is probably frayed, squished in the steering lock, or otherwise mangled due to the superior engineering and routing done at the Triumph factory.

Edit:  Before you go that far, though, check to make sure you have a bit of clearance between your switchgear, throttle grip and bar end.  If it's at zero clearance, move your switchgear inboard on the bar.
Intotheabis

Mustang

Quote from: "intotheabis"Hi, do you know if the throttle cables are expensive?
Thanks

about 40 bucks from the dealer or bike bandit ...............they are a real pain in the ass to replace at the carb end . :shock:

intotheabis

Great thanks!

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "intotheabis"Hi, do you know if the throttle cables are expensive?
Thanks

about 40 bucks from the dealer or bike bandit ...............they are a real pain in the ass to replace at the carb end . :shock:
Intotheabis

akendall1966

When I got my 98 earlier this year with only 5K on it the throttle cable was stiff tiring on the hands after a while. New cable did the trick although a pain to fit as Mustang says.

Guess they just gum up with age as well as wear out.
----AK-----

93TigerBill

It is *just* possible to replace the cable without removing the carbs - but you almost need "surgical" skills to do so. Panels/tank off of course.
Worth a try.
Regards,
Bill
Bill  IBA# 45911
Newcastle, Australia
\'93 Tiger Caspian Blue
130,000 km & counting!

Colonel Nikolai

Hey folks,

Saw this thread. I picked up a 96 Tiger this August 28k. The throttle is fine: silky smooth in fact. But I also have a 96 Sprint: 44k. The throttle on that is really hard, but snaps back no problem. I have removed the carbs a few times to do work on the airbox. It's a pain, but it's not that bad. I think I can surmise that the Sprint needs a new throttle cable.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

By k I mean miles, not kilometers. I should start specifying that from now on, sorry.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

intotheabis

Thanks, I guess this must be one of those "common" problems that seem to crop up on all bikes. I am going to pick up the bike today. Its -15 degrees so I think I will trailer it :-)
Is it a 2 cable, push pull arrangement?
Intotheabis

Mustang

nope single cable , just wait till you see where the cable goes on the carb end  :shock:  :evil:

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mustang"nope single cable , just wait till you see where the cable goes on the carb end  :shock:  :evil:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Another engineering master stroke! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

cascadetiger

My cable was sticking when I bought the bike.  I re-routed the cable under the seat, it has been silky smooth since.  Reading this I should pop for a new cable tho as I am at 24,000 miles.