News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Best way to see what is happening on your CPU?

Started by tett, December 18, 2009, 12:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tett

There is a cheap little device (Dealer Tool) where one can hook it up to a laptop and see what is happening with the bikes cpu.

See: http://dealertool.web.officelive.com/interest.htm

Is this the best thing to get or is there something better but not too much more expensive?  Want to have a device to let me know what the problem is should I encounter any and it would be cool to see how well balanced the engine is.  Would also want something to tell me how well all the systems are.

Cheers!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

iansoady

That's probably fine to check & reset fault codes. If you want to do more (eg change fuel maps etc) then Tuneboyis the way to go IMO.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

You can get a cable, interface and a CD full of software from ebay for less than 1/3 of that price.  I went that route as a first step in learning how ECMs work.  It allows reading all the sensor output voltages - which will show if they're working or not but is only really useful if you know what they are telling you,  and you can read and clear fault codes.  If you want to do more, you need Tuneboy, as said already.  I've had hours of fun with mine, but you have to understand what you are doing, or you could do read harm to your motor.

What neither will tell you is if the throttle bodies are balanced.  They have a big effect on smooth running and to do them, you need a Morgan Carbtune http://www.carbtune.com/  (works on TBs too)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tett

Thanks!

The Dealer Tool does say it shows if the carbs are balanced or not.  Do not trust this or am I mistaken in what they are saying.

Will look at the Tune Boy as well as a cheap plug in attachment.  Cool stuff!

tett

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"You can get a cable, interface and a CD full of software from ebay for less than 1/3 of that price.  I went that route as a first step in learning how ECMs work.  It allows reading all the sensor output voltages - which will show if they're working or not but is only really useful if you know what they are telling you,  and you can read and clear fault codes.  If you want to do more, you need Tuneboy, as said already.  I've had hours of fun with mine, but you have to understand what you are doing, or you could do read harm to your motor.

What neither will tell you is if the throttle bodies are balanced.  They have a big effect on smooth running and to do them, you need a Morgan Carbtune http://www.carbtune.com/  (works on TBs too)
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

If you have a Triumph with a Kehlin ECM some of them alow you to check throttle body balance as they have one air sensor per cylinder.  I'm not sure which models have it - I think I remember reading the Rocket and 675 Daytona having this ability but may be wrong.  Tigers use the SAGEM ECM which doesn't allow this.  The only test you can run on the Tiger, even with Tuneboy are rev counter, IACV, cooling fan and fuel pump.. oh and purge valve if you live in California.

Tuneboy is very expensive but an excellent tool.  The software and fuel maps are free but the cable to connect is expensive (it allows you to see everything that's going on but not re-map the fuel), the software key that allows you to re-map is also expensive and only applies to one ECM.  You can't buy one key and do several bikes, they need a key each.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...