News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Okay, who knows how to adjust the idle on these things?

Started by flux, January 09, 2010, 08:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flux

Anyone know how the heck to adjust the idle on these EFI systems?

EvilBetty

Unless something is wrong with a sensor you shouldn't need to make any adjustments to the tune to make the bike run properly.

I would be looking at the throttle position sensor (TPS) or idle control valve (ICV) for problems.  I would think the computer would throw an engine light and code that could be picked up with the diagnostic tool, if this was the case.

I believe the TPS can be checked with a multimeter.  Also sometimes the ICV can be fine but the hoses have cracks and are leaking.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

flux

Thanks, EB, but we replaced the IACV (stepper motor) with a new unit to no avail.  Checked all the lines, too.  

I think we checked the TPS (we have checked so many things it is getting hard to keep count) but will recheck.

EvilBetty

When you check the lines on the stepper motor, make sure you check the rubber boots that connect to the ports for TINY cracks.  There was a thread where someone initially thought theirs were fine, but later found the hairline cracks in the boots when they were stretched.

I would still be concerned about treating the symptom instead of the cause.  A stock, TOR, or Aftermarket tune should run fine on a mechanically sound bike.   The idle fuel trim problem IMO is a symptom of some other problem that should be beneficial in leading a Triumph mechanic to the root cause.

Keep hoping someone that's been down this road will chime in for you.

flux

I agree. Hoping by looking into the symptom we find the cause. Fro
 researching today I do not think it's even possible to adjust the idle on these bikes.

From what I understand a leak in the IACV hoses would make the bike idle faster, not slower as mine is behaving. Perhaps I'm wrong though.  

Will keep ya updated. At this point I am just gonna wait for the guys at corporate to get in touch on Monday.

Bixxer Bob

Regarding the zero value for the idle fuel trim.  It's 10pm andI've just been out to the garage (-6 deg C) to check mine.  Mine's zero too.  You need to be looking at the long term fuel trim which the Triumph gameboy can change.  Mine's 4.18% and won't run if it's lower than 3.5%.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

My garage is at about -6C too... and I'm not spending any more time that I have to out there... for anyone  :?

flux

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Regarding the zero value for the idle fuel trim.  It's 10pm andI've just been out to the garage (-6 deg C) to check mine.  Mine's zero too.  You need to be looking at the long term fuel trim which the Triumph gameboy can change.  Mine's 4.18% and won't run if it's lower than 3.5%.

thanks bob!  I'll let my tech know.  One things for sure... He will know triumph after this is done!

blacktiger

Something I found last year when my bike was running erratically was that the vacuum pipe that runs into the ECU had fallen out.
As your first post didn't actually say what the problem was I can't help any further. However, I believe the tickover is adjustable via the diagnostic tool only on the Keihin injection system fitted to the 1050. If your bike is like mine with the SAGEM then AFAIK it's done within the ECU tune.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "blacktiger"Something I found last year when my bike was running erratically was that the vacuum pipe that runs into the ECU had fallen out.
As your first post didn't actually say what the problem was I can't help any further. However, I believe the tickover is adjustable via the diagnostic tool only on the Keihin injection system fitted to the 1050. If your bike is like mine with the SAGEM then AFAIK it's done within the ECU tune.

Good spot, but we covered the ECU pipe in the other thread on this subject. Else, see my soon-to-be-sticky on tuneboy screenshots  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...