News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

16 or 17 tooth....that is the question?

Started by OzTiger007, February 15, 2009, 05:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonS

Quote from: "flux"Stock rear is 46T, not 47,and 46 is what I have on the rear currently.

5000 RPMs at 70mph is what I saw yesterday with the 17/46 combo.  I will ride again this afternoon and double check it for you though.  

I haven't run this combo long enough to start to figure out the mileage, should be able to get those numbers for you this weekend though.

Great .. thanks...
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

OzTiger007

Well i ran my 16tooth front cog last weekend to moab.....The run on I70 at 80-90 mph feels like the motor is screaming (as you would expect) although rpm is 6-7k still a long way from redline.(not that i want to run at redline). For sure it is no good for mpg's. It did turn the old girl into a mountain cat though...I ran everything on WRT and Klondike bluffs without any clutching. Pretty much ran in 2nd most of the time with first like a spare rock climbing gear.  If i get time I'll change out to the 17th before I ride this weekend and report back.

Oh...i reckon i was getting between 35-40mpg. Didn't really pay much attention.... i'll try harder next time I promise OK?
06 Tiger
97 Superhawk
96 VfR750
83 XL200R

JasonS

Oz.. nice trip report !!

I checked my speed over the last few rides and at 5000 rpm I am 75 mph.. .so my guess is that I am stock.. still it feels like I want another gear..
\'tweachisown

OzTiger007

Thanks JasonS,

I'm not sure if it is because the motor is so torquey? But when you ride around at lower speeds/rpm and then hit interstate speeds it feels weird. I'm sure that other riders have also felt the need for higher or lower gearing in their Tigers. If only someone cleverer than me... (stretch...Sasquatch?).. .would come up with some transmission options we would all be laughing. I joke... I'm sure an internal transmission alternative would be an extremely complicated and expensive problem. One can only wish.
06 Tiger
97 Superhawk
96 VfR750
83 XL200R

Stretch

Aside from the weak charging system, the only real complaint I have about the design of the Girly is the transmission ratios.  First is too high for even novice offroad work, while sixth is too low for freeway use.  I'd love to be able to just pick through the Triumph parts inventory and build a trans with the proper gearing, but I don't think the various Triumph gearsets out there are compatible enough to allowing mixing and matching.

If I were a machine tool guru with lots of connections and facilities, it might be do-able... but...

I am but a city fireman with a penchant for motorbikes.

flux

Yup, I am a 5000 RPM at 70MPH in top gear with the 17T.  Getting about 45mpg.  My MPG changes a lot though as I change up between slow offroad and high rev runs through the mountains.  

I like the 17T and likely won't go back to an 18 unless a long freeway jaunt is needed.  I do still look for another gear a lot but I did that with the 18 so WTF.

sanjoh

Used the 17t on the TAT trip last summer and the 19t to go to and from the TAT.

5k rpms = 70mph(17t), 80mph(19t) after ~5k miles, no difference in the gas mileage for me.  However, the front wheel gets a lot more air time with the 17t :D
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

JasonS

I ordered a 19 tooth front sprocket. I figure the gas it will save ion the long haul will make it worth it. I'll carry the 18 with me if I need to do a bit offroad oriented riding or discover I have a passenger.....
\'tweachisown

REGULATOR

I was lucky to have a 19t layign around from my SPrint ST.

somebody mentioned other bikes havign same size sprockets,

if you just want to try one out, look around on any triumph messae board etc, Often the Daytona owners are downsizing, as well as the SPrint owners,  and then giving away the 19t's  or other sizes for little to nothing

My sprint came with a 19t, and I downsized it to get more snap back in, and saved the 19t for extended highway runs,  it felt like the Tiger with a too tall first gear...    although the 6th seemed pretty good.

wonder if any of the other triumph trannys would work?