News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Change

Started by Timbox2, April 13, 2010, 09:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Gave the Tigger some new blood and a filter today,
As she hasnt used a drop in 5000 miles( Since January :shock:) I splashed out on Silkolene Pro 15/50, £44-00 for 4 litres, I'll be gutted if she starts using it now :lol:

Is it just me or is the centre stand in just the right place so you cant get a drain can underneath?? I ended up using a paddock stand  :?
2016 Tiger Sport

cosmo

Dunno. I don't have a cnetral stand, so I just use a paddock stand.

REAL helpful, aren't I??  :roll:

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chris Canning

Hmmm,you know Tim i'll have to think about that,i only did mine a week ago,and when i'd taken the filter off and dropped the oil out realised i didn't have a filter and let it drain for two days so it must have done it some how.

How do you get on for quantity the books says 3.75L,which just comes on the bottom of the dipstick on mine.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Hmmm,you know Tim i'll have to think about that,i only did mine a week ago,and when i'd taken the filter off and dropped the oil out realised i didn't have a filter and let it drain for two days so it must have done it some how.

How do you get on for quantity the books says 3.75L,which just comes on the bottom of the dipstick on mine.

My owners manual says 4ltr with filter, and thats exactly what came out and went back in, level seems right on the max mark
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Timbox2"Is it just me or is the centre stand in just the right place so you cant get a drain can underneath?? I ended up using a paddock stand  :?

FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY LAST WEEK!   :x

I saw the hole was very close to the rim of the square pan I was using but it looked fine.  So then I remove the bolt and the oil follows the curvature of the sump just enough for the stream of oil to land RIGHT on the rim of my pan, and go all over the floor!  

Oil change will now be a side stand operation...
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Advwannabe

Change mine on the sidestand, no problem hauling it up vertical for a minute to check the level.

Trap for young players, tried to re use the sump plug gasket once too often last change and had the privilige to changing the oil twice to get the job done  :oops:

I don't want to start an oil thread with this, I think you are fine whatever you use as long as you change it regularly.

I made the stupid mistake of getting my dealer to service the bike recently, as well as the speedo not working, engine light on and sucking down fuel it was using oil as well! They had put Penrite in it.

Changed back to the Motul 5110 I had been using and all is well again.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

EvilBetty

Been having the same problem.  Been putting Mobil 1 4T in her since I got her at 23k.  It's been sucking oil and doing about 35mpg with TOR exhaust / tune.

Put Rotell 5w-40 Synth in her the last change.  Done 1k and only eaten about 1/8 of a quart, and getting 40mpg again. (ridding it like I stole it by the way.)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

JTT

I'm interested in other's intervals for oil changes on the 955i.  The service manual suggests 10,000kms, but that seems a pretty long interval to me, but I'm new to these powerplants.  I'm using Motul 5100 for what its worth.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Advwannabe

JTT,

I think we are using the same oil ( I said 5110 in my post). I change mine every 5000k.

My rationale for this is that my Tigger gets used for everything from chasing sportbikes to IBA runs to desert trips. I only ever seem to get 25-30km out of a chain and 12-15kms out of a set of tourances. Others do much better so I'm assuming that I'm harder on the equipment, therefore, look after it a wee bit more often.

The only way you know for sure if your oil change intervals are right is if you get your old oil analysed in a lab. Back in the day when I worked for a rich mining company I did this with Shell semi-synth on my old FJ1200 which was used for the odd track day and high speed touring. The oil was not breaking down after 5000k. I'm assuming (dangerous word that) that the Tigger motor will be kinder on oil than a souped up air cooled 1200, and that the Motul is at least as good as the Shell.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

JTT

Thanks!  I'm pretty gentle on my Tigger.  I've been using 5100 in my KLR for nearly 55,000 kms, changing at 5000 kms...I've not been so gentle on the KLR.  It's worked hard and to this day doesn't burn a drop of oil (knock wood).  I'll likely stick to this routine on the Tiger too.  Thanks again.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Hatepylons

I change mine every 3K, factory fill, I've owned the bike for ~14,000mi (bought it was 11K on it). According to the service records, the prior owner did the same (bought at a dealership).

When I brought it in for the 24K service, technician said I had the cleanest cylinder head he'd ever pulled a valve cover on, and all the valves were still well within spec.