News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil burning Pig...

Started by AndyM, December 31, 2009, 07:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie

looks like mine is turning into an oil burner too.
It sucks to have to whip the head off with only 50k on the thing
I figured 100k before any major surgery.
I think these things are very sensitive to checking the oil frequently cos if they run low then problems seem to occur

AndyM

Bike hasn't been smoking as much the past few days  :D

Then I added almost 2 liters of oil to top it off last night  :(  

Now I imagine it will be smoking again. Going to see another dealer this morning after work to talk numbers on a new GS. Will ask their mechanics about the oil burning.

EvilBetty

Mine only smokes during warming up, and I think that's just condensation. But the oil is going somewhere and it's not on the floor.   :?

That said I've done 500 miles since changing the oil with Rotella and it's still touching the stick!   :shock:

This happened after I changed the last breather seal too but then it returned to it's oil eating habits shortly after...
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

AndyM

I find that my bike burns less oil the first thousand or two miles after an oil change. With the Rotella as cheap as it is I'm doing more frequent oil changes. I'm thinking about trying the non-synth rotella as it's even cheaper and what's the worst that could happen?

EvilBetty

I'm still toying with the theory that I paint my bike a different color it will fix it :)

Bixxer Bob

Why not, you did everything else.... :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

AndyM

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I'm still toying with the theory that I paint my bike a different color it will fix it :)

I've been toying with lifting the tankbag and rolling a new GS under it to fix the problem... :twisted:

EvilBetty

LOL... yeah but that costs a whole lot more than buying a new engine :)

Actually I think you could get a new 1050 Tiger AND a new engine and still be ahead :)

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Why not, you did everything else.... :lol:

LOL... no... not EVERYTHING else   :oops:

AndyM

Quote from: "EvilBetty"LOL... yeah but that costs a whole lot more than buying a new engine :)

Actually I think you could get a new 1050 Tiger AND a new engine and still be ahead :)

I demo'd a new Tiger and it was ok. I demo'd a new GS and it was   :D   I'm 4k shy of 100k on my 03 and while I could put in the time and money to fix it it still won't be the bike I want for the riding I want to do.

EvilBetty

I hear that.  Are you looking at a GS or GS Adventure?

AndyM

I rode and liked them both and will probably go with the Adventure.

EvilBetty

Been putting Mobil 1 4T in her since I got her at 23k.  It's been sucking oil and doing about 35mpg with TOR exhaust / tune.

Put Rotell 5w-40 Synth in her the last change.  Done 1k and only eaten about 1/8 of a quart, and getting 40mpg again. (ridding it like I stole it by the way.)

Still not sold... keeping an eye on the ol' gal :)

AndyM

So just how bad could it be you ask? I was fiddling with the bike and did a little experiment.
I took a clean white shop towel and held it three or four inches behind the exhaust.
Bike at operating temp. oil topped off.

Gave it about three seconds at around 6k rpm.

Before

After

EvilBetty

I'm going to try that.

I had not added to the bike in a while.  About 5 fill up since I had the add the 1/8th after 1k.  Yesterday I had to dump a quart in, but it put it way up on the stick.