News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil burning Pig...

Started by AndyM, December 31, 2009, 07:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: "AndyM"After

is it an actual oil mist that is coming out or is it a white cloud from burnt oil

if it is an oil mist I would suspect the valve seals and or guides as the problem .

AndyM

Quote from: "Mustang"is it an actual oil mist that is coming out or is it a white cloud from burnt oil

if it is an oil mist I would suspect the valve seals and or guides as the problem .

Looks to me like a white cloud when I gas it.

Mustang

Short of doing a complete motor rebuild .............
new cylinder head and liners and rings and pistons I don't think you will ever solve the oil burning

You may want to consider finding a wrecked bike to buy a used engine ,good deals are out there ........and it will extend the life of your tigger
or as you have mentioned it may be time to trade

There are several Sprint motors on ebay right now priced anywhere from 500-1000 bucks and there is this .................
an 01 tiger engine with 42 k on it and a video you can watch of the motor running

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-Tiger-955i-ENGINE-MOTOR-VIDEOS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5190107661QQitemZ350309348961QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

EvilBetty

See mine doesn't do that at all.  Mine never smokes.  I get a little steam from the exhaust at start up till she warms up and then nothing the rest of the way.

I do smell a little like I've been on a bike when I get to work, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

I need to check my breather hose again.  If I've got more oil in there... I'm taking her to the dealer.

But I've also got my eye on a 2007... bit of a road trip though.   :twisted:

I have to get this figured out though.  At least so I can give the next owner an accurate account of what they are getting into.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

AndyM

Interesting idea about the Sprint motors and there do seem to be a lot of them out there. I had always thought about a Daytona motor but haven't come across one.

2500 miles I will hit 100k on my Tiger, figure just about a month from now, and I'm going to buy a BMW. Still on the fence whether it will be a GS or an RT. The Tiger will stay with me and I'll see about fixing it up , no telling how creative I'll get.....

oxnsox

QuoteI do smell a little like I've been on a bike when I get to work, but I don't know if that's normal or not.
Girls just hate the smell of bike breath in the morning... :lol:
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AndyM

rolled 98k on the OBP today  :hat10

EvilBetty

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I'm going to try that.

I had not added to the bike in a while.  About 5 fill up since I had the add the 1/8th after 1k.  Yesterday I had to dump a quart in, but it put it way up on the stick.

:oops: Ok apparently I forgot once again to check the oil with the bike UPRIGHT.  Last check to the oil and it was actually overfilled.  I've put about 200 on it since correcting the oil level and it's still holding right where I left it.

Advwannabe

When we talk about the breather seal are we referring to the seal in the stator cover?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

AndyM

Quote from: "Advwannabe"When we talk about the breather seal are we referring to the seal in the stator cover?

Yes, that would be the one.

Sasquatch

I have an 01, dad has an 04.  Mine burns or throws some into the air box, his does not.  We stumbled on something.  His has a longer dipstick so that only 3 +/- quarts is all it takes.  Mine takes 4.25 quarts.

Could Triumph have lowered the oil level to stop blowing it out into the air box?

EvilBetty

diggerT

Interesting reading the dipstick thread. Anyone tried a more recent one on an older model and with what results?