News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Teething Problems

Started by Bear900, March 17, 2010, 01:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear900

Ok, I finally picked up my 02 Black Tiger today. Bloody great bike. Love it.

Now the teething issues...............

Speedo needle started waving and varying speed. Thats weird, didnt do that on the test ride.........Now it is barely moving at all........great!

Is the Tiger Speedo electronic?? I am pretty positive it is as i found wires running to the front wheel instead of a good old speedo cable.

If it is electronic WTF is going on?????

What is the adjustment on the rear spring preload? I turn it towards the hard arrow but the adjuster just seems to turn and turn

Night falls.......no light in the fuel gauge. Bugger. Looks like i might be changing that globe while i look for my speedo fault.

I guess all these questions can be answered by a workshop manual. Does anyone have an electronic BACKUP :wink: of one i could see? or know where one is available online??

Other than small issues i really love this bike. After my Daytona it is like an arm chair. It also handles far better than i even hoped. It shocked me on the 200km ride home. I am well chuffed.

Cheers.

Mustang

try cleaning the contacts to the speedo assembly at the front wheel

PRELOAD is controlled by adjusting the spring collar nut , I assume you are referring to the dampening or rebound adjuster  and yes they just spin around

stock tiger rear shocks are junk anyway and one that is 8 years old has probably certainly seen better days

find a replacement and you won't believe how well the kitty handles  :shock:

Bear900

Thanks for the reply Mustang,

I will have to check the front wheel sensor. Do i have to drop the front wheel off to check it??

Has anyone else had this speedo issue??

My bad on the damper adjust. I thought it was to good to be true that the stocker would have hydraulic preload!

I would love to look for a replacement shock but they are bloody pricey arent they?

Hagon is normally the cheaper option but either way i dont know if i want to spend a grand on on ageing bike. I take it the stocker is non rebuildable?

Bear900

Nobody has any advice on an online manual??

Mustang

the manuals are copyrighted so finding one online for free is pretty damn near next to impossible...............................

Bear900

Quote from: "Mustang"the manuals are copyrighted so finding one online for free is pretty damn near next to impossible...............................

Great to see all these law abiding citizens........... :D

cheers

Mustang

this guy has tons of manuals online but only has daytona 955I 2002 and speed triple  also has a 2001 for same bikes
some info will pertain to tiger but not all .
They are the only manuals I have ever found online for free for triumph

http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

page is slow to load be patient ........................

Bear900

Thanks for the help Mustang. I appreciate it.

OK but i am confused. The adjuster is clearly marked spring preload adjustment and there are no nut adjusters that i can see and i have adjusted plenty over the years, so i am assuming you are referring to an earlier model Mustang.

It does however just turn repeatedly. Does the tiger shock have just two preload settings, hard and soft ? Where is the damping adjuster?. I have the Trumpy manual but as usual they describe how to field strip the bloody rear suspension but never once mentions how to adjust the shock.

Any help appreciated. You boys must have the Tigger suspension down pat. A replacement shock is not viable at this stage. So i need to get what i can from the stocker.

Mustang

yep my bad :oops:...........you need to find a owners manual for your year bike , they usually tell you how to adjust the suspension
I think I have seen owners manuals online before try doing a google search

Bear900

Hi Mustang,

Yeah i have searched. Always coming up with service manual links, not owners manual. I will keep at it.

Many Thanks

Bixxer Bob

Bear (where are you by the way), the rebound adjuster is a screwdriver slot near the bottom of the shock just below the spring on the right hand side, but I'm reading from the Haynes manual and it's often wrong.

As for the pre-load, mine moves fairly stiffly from 1 - 5 so it sounds as though yours has a fault.   There's loads of info on here about removing the shock if you need to,  have fun.....  :lol:

If I get time later I'll have a proper look at mine (2005 model).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bear900

Thanks for all the replies lads.

I got the rear sorted with a little help from some kind people on here and the trusty internet. Did some fiddling and it is a hell of a lot better. The preload was way down and damping turned way up so it felt off all round.

Thanks again. Sorry to say it probably wont be the last PITA question i ask on here. I got some mods to do now as i am keeping this beastie for as long as i can!

Next dilemma is i have a ventura bag but no rack. I am seriously thinking of going to my first top box!! I will soon be fully lost to the dark side :D