News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

steamer or Girly

Started by mantramoto, October 31, 2009, 05:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

I can't wait to take my stripper bike to work tomorrow.  Just so you know. :lol:  

I may even take the "dirty" way home.  I'll post pics if I'm not having too much fun on her.*

*Don't hold yer breath. :lol:
From parts unknown.

mantramoto

Jetdoc, still waiting for the photos! I took everyone's advice and bought a stripper - I mean Steamer!

Milton

Just post the pictures of the stripper  :D .

I really enjoy my ugly old steamer. Had her to a BMW rally this past summer, as my K is broken, I was amazed at how many people stopped by to look her over. The year before I had my 92 K100 RS 4V there and there wasn't even a quarter of the people looking her over.
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!

mantramoto

Here she is - couldn't pass up the character!

cparker

Quote from: "akendall1966"For steamers I think this is the comprehensive thread http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4997 for issues.

Steamer Pros....
Looks
longer travel forks / softer springs favor off -road use
less elec-trickery to go wrong
strong chassis (spine frame)

Steamer Cons
Age will have taken its toll on even the best bikes
Accessories are like hens teeth new
stock suspension needs work for road use for anyone big enough to get on one.
Top heavy
Sprag / DAR / Coils / CS Senor - common failure points

Specifications
Top speed    119mph
1/4-mile acceleration    15.2 secs
Power    84bhp
Torque    61ftlb
Weight    209kg
Seat height    850mm
Fuel capacity    24 litres
Average fuel consumption    44mpg
Tank range    230 miles
Insurance group    13
Engine size    885cc
Engine specification    12v in-line triple , 6 gears
Frame    Tubular steel cradle
Front suspension adjustment    Preload
Rear suspension adjustment    Preload
Front brakes    Twin 276mm discs
Rear brake    255mm disc
Front tyre size    110/80 x 19
Rear tyre size    140/80 x 17

Not being a Girly owner or having ridden one I don't spend much time in those threads so harder to pin one down. but they seem to have their fair share of problems but perhaps not the 3~4 common issue that come up on the T400 motor.

Specifications
Top speed    133mph
1/4-mile acceleration    11.5 secs
Power    104bhp
Torque    67ftlb
Weight    215kg
Seat height    875mm
Fuel capacity    22 litres
Average fuel consumption    44mpg
Tank range    178 miles
Insurance group    13
Engine size    955cc
Engine specification    12v transverse triple, 5 gears
Frame    Tubular steel cradle
Front suspension adjustment    None
Rear suspension adjustment    Preload, rebound
Front brakes    2 x 310mm discs
Rear brake    285mm disc
Front tyre size    110/80 x 19
Rear tyre size    150/70 x 17

I have a T595 and love that injection motor which made it into the 955 versions so that would be a pro beyond that I a not really able to comment.

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-chat/57 ... -dirt.html
http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-chat/69 ... mance.html

WTF? Almost a four second difference between a Steamer and a Girly in the quarter mile? I don't think so (70cc doesn't make that much difference)! Does anyone actually have the correct quarter-mile times for a Steamer?
 Just going from a 'seat-of-the-pants' feel, I reckon my Steamer would be good for low twelves.
Black \'95 Tiger.

akendall1966

figures came from mcn for both  http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Triumph/Triumph-Tiger-1993-1998/?&R=EPI-362

Its a little it more than just cc, that injected motor is a very different animal to the old T400. In the de-tuned tiger form it is 20% up on power and in my T595 30% up on the steamer.

Those are the only figure I can find someone will have to get a along to a RWYB event and find out what a steamer can do!! :?: [/url]
----AK-----

Sin_Tiger

AK - having or had both, what's the difference physically with respect to mouting points between the T400 & the T595 motrs?

I am sure I am not the first to have thought about putting an 885i or even 955i in a Steamer but I haven't come across a specific thread.

Better get the flack jacket out I can already hear calls of "burn the Heretic, nail him up"  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

akendall1966

Sin - still got both :D

Top of my head the steamers spine frame runs over the top of the engine, on a 595 there are two curved beams that the engine sits in between (with the air box over the top).

So I would guess a 595 motor mounts are further outboard while the steamer is closer to the centerline of the bike. Would have to pull some plastics and measure to see what the practical difference is.
----AK-----

Sin_Tiger

Ah don't go to any touble, just curious, more projects bouncing around the head than I have time for.

Been in my mind for an FI Steamer but not sure which way to go about it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

akendall1966

Ahh.. Before I was lucky enough to get my hands on my Steamer I was looking at quite a few dogs on evil-bay as potential projects and was having the same thoughts.

The T595 system seem a good candidate as it doesn't have an o2 sensor, fabricating the cam position sensor into the rocker cover seemed to be the biggest mechanical challenge. However I am probably overlooking a serious issue somewhere.

As with you a project idea I don't have time for.
----AK-----