News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone else had a recall notice?

Started by tediem, August 04, 2004, 11:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tediem

Yesterday I had a recall notice from Triumph reguarding the quick release fuel couplings, I have a 2001 model, anyone else had one?

Chris Canning

Yep mine turned up the post today.

Chris

NortonCharlie

How about anyone on this side of the pond?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

echoyankee

I showed up at a Triumph Dealership yesterday and asked about the recall and said that I had the original OEM plastic connectors aboard the motorcycle and the brass fittings (plated) from Team Triumph in my backpack.  

The gentleman who handled my questions said that he had yet to read a DOT document requiring the replacement of the connectors and that he wasn't interested in swapping the connectors out while I waited.  Truth be told, I didn't call in advance and it's quite likely there were other bikes to be dealt with ahead of mine.  He did tell me that, as a part of other service done with them in the future, oil change or the like, that he'd be happy to replace the fittings with the part that I had.  That struck me as just fine, mostly because, by that point, Triumph would very possibly have the documentation out to the dealerships by the time my next service came around.  

AT ANY RATE.  I called Triumph coroporate today and spoke to a fellow saying that they had had some 'stumbling blocks' to get over (printing, distribution) and were in the midst of getting the recall documentation out to the dealers and owners.  Apparently prior to the recall, they'd been having a few meetings discussing whether or not to pull the trigger on the recall as the fittings, known to my mechanic as a "dry break", were engineered to the 30-40psi tolerances and did just fine in that capacity.  It was the inadvertant yet apparently unavoidable yanking on the fitting that comes along with a gas tank removal that was NOT figured into the engineering of the part.  This claim backs up much of what I've read in the NHSTA statement in MCN and here on this very forum.  

The fellow from Triumph corporate also said that the replacement parts were anodized aluminum and that the plated brass fittings I had were very possibly just fine (I'm sure many on this forum would agree with experience to back it up) but, perhaps understandably, would only stand firmly behind the Triumph fittings that they're making in house and distributing as replacements.  

As for me, I've got about 2k more miles before my next oil change and will probably go back at that time and have the connectors dealt with then.  

Enough time should have elapsed for all the dealerships to get all the materials they need to process the recall.  

The guy at Triumph corporate (in Georgia) said to keep his number handy if I had any troubles when I did find my way back to the dealer.  Nice!

Best,

echoyankee