News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What tools will I need?

Started by tazshido, January 21, 2010, 03:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazshido

OK, I always carry tools if I'm going more than 100 miles from home. It has pulled my bacon out of the fire many times and endeared me to several fellow motorcyclists who do not carry tools, one of them, an attractive young lady who was extremely gracious and generous with her gratitude. :wink: Sorry, I digress. :oops:
I'll be flying out to California to take delivery of my bike and riding it home 1300+ miles, so I'll be taking my kit. I have a small, old military canvas tool bag and it's usually pretty full. I carry;
¼ drive metric sockets
3/8 drive metric sockets
¼+3/8 drive combo stubby ratchet handle
¼ drive breaker bar with a 3/8 adapter
Fold-up style hex key (allen wrench) set
Set of 6" hex key wobble tip sockets
Open end wrenches in some common sizes for my bike
6" adjustable (crescent) wrench
Heavy duty pliers
Small inspection mirror
Magnetic tool retriever
Small ratcheting screw driver handle with long and stubby shanks
Screwdriver bits for above.
Butt splices and spade style connectors
Stripping/crimping pliers
Stainless steel safety wire
Zip ties
Gerber multi-tool
Any larger sockets needed for removal of the wheels

I have gleaned from the how-to section on this forum that I will need to now take some Torx bits also. So what else might I need that would be Girly specific. Can anybody tell me what size sockets I might need for the axle nuts? I want to be prepared because I will be on my own "swingin in the breeze".
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

cosmo

Quote from: "tazshido"OK, I always carry tools if I'm going more than 100 miles from home. It has pulled my bacon out of the fire many times and endeared me to several fellow motorcyclists who do not carry tools, one of them, an attractive young lady who was extremely gracious and generous with her gratitude. :wink:

:worthless

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

tazshido

Quote from: "cosmo"
Quote from: "tazshido"OK, I always carry tools if I'm going more than 100 miles from home. It has pulled my bacon out of the fire many times and endeared me to several fellow motorcyclists who do not carry tools, one of them, an attractive young lady who was extremely gracious and generous with her gratitude. :wink:

:worthless

Cosmo

Sorry, That was back in my single days when I did not carry a camera. I didn't expect to live long enough to need a photo album of memories. Two wives, two kids and a dozen bikes later and I'm very sad to not have photos of some of those moments.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

macgart

Depending on what year Girly you get, you'll need a couple of large hex wrenches for adjustment of the eccentrics.  I don't remember the exact size, the large one came in the bike tool kit.  

I also carry some tire irons (not that I'd have a lot of luck actually changing a tire on the side of the road) and a 12v air compressor.

You can get pretty far into the bike with surprisingly few tools.  I carry a set of torx sockets and a set of hex sockets in 1/4 and 3/8 drive along with a variety of extensions.  You need a long torx to get to the bolts in the battery box, and bottom mount of the gas tank.  You'll also need a long (5mm?) hex to get to the front bolt of the tank as well as a really short one for the sides of the tank.  So, sockets with extensions cover the bill nicely.  

A bit of thread lock is never a bad idea as well.  If you've not had one before, you'll find that the Girly is pretty easy to wrench on.

I'm about 2 hours south of you, shoot me a pm some time and we can hook up.  Maybe around Centennial?  There's some pretty cool riding around there.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

2004Tiger

A small digital multimeter. $10 or less.
Tire presssure gauge.
Knife.
Gorilla tape.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

cbxtc6

Don't forget a tire repair(plugger) kit!
Here's the kit I brought on my 11,000 mile trip on the Tiger:

KuzzinKenny

Hey tazshido !! i checked back yer posts to see its a 2006 Tigger ( it helps to add it to yer profile ) the main thing you`ll need is a sheepskin seat pad  :shock:  unless yer one O these Iron Butt lot  :ImaPoser

enjoy the ride !!

KK

ps dont forget chain lube and some topup engine oil !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "cbxtc6"Don't forget a tire repair(plugger) kit!

Hey cbxtc6 !! i`m interested to know where the ES spotlight bulb fits ??

:lol:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

cbxtc6

Yeah, my workbench is a bit cluttery...

tazshido

Quote from: "cbxtc6"Don't forget a tire repair(plugger) kit!

I think the beer glass is an especially nice addition, at least for the home kit eh?
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

tazshido

Quote from: "macgart"I'm about 2 hours south of you, shoot me a pm some time and we can hook up.  Maybe around Centennial?  There's some pretty cool riding around there.

I do quite a bit of riding around that area and I have a riding buddy who lives in CO Springs. I love the CO and WY Rockies for riding and now, with a 2006 Girley, I'm no longer stuck on the paved roads.  :wings
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis