News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

chain life

Started by ynotbiker, November 08, 2014, 07:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynotbiker

hi all i was wondering if my chain would be ok. Its been on the bike for 21 years. The bike has only done 10500 miles in this time.Ive checked the chain and its nice and loose links that is and ive well lubricated it. I was just wondering is there anything perishable in the chain orings ect. Should i change it for piece of mind. Ive done 3500 miles since i bought it. Any opinions would be appreciated. :thumbsup

nickjtc

As long as the chain has been kept lubricated, and when it is in correct adjustment there is no 'slack' when you pull backwards on it at the rear of the rear sprocket, you are good to go. I had 90,000km on the chain on my VFR when I sold it (after continual Scottoiler care) and it was still as good as new.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ynotbiker

thanks ive got it set at 35mm and it is still slack when pull back chain at back sprocket.think i will just bite the bullet and replace got a big trip to do next year.

HeavyHustler

nickjtc

Quote from: ynotbiker on November 08, 2014, 09:39:26 PM
thanks ive got it set at 35mm and it is still slack when pull back chain at back sprocket

A 'little' slack is ok at correct chain adjustment. If you can pull the chain back to expose half of a tooth or more then it's time for new kit.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

How do the sprockets look?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint