News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

more coolant issues

Started by adrian jones, January 17, 2010, 10:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrian jones

Well I got a proper Triumph cap and problem solved.  However before swapping I ran 'er up to temp to see (with headlight cover off) exactly what was gong on and sure enough when the temp gauge hit about mid point the overflow tank filed to the brim and water spewed out from around the rubber seal that the return/elbow goes to and flowed like crazy out the overflow!!!!!

LEt it cool down....cleaned it up...... Triumph cap replaced, topped off coolant and headed out for a ride.

No issues!  :-)

So I guess trying to save a few $ cost me a lot of time and hassle.  So Live and learn. But IMHO  avoid the Stant, bite the bullet and pay Triumph what they want for the OEM.
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

macgart

Quote from: "adrian jones"However before swapping I ran 'er up to temp to see (with headlight cover off) exactly what was gong on and sure enough when the temp gauge hit about mid point the overflow tank filed to the brim and water spewed out from around the rubber seal that the return/elbow goes to and flowed like crazy out the overflow!!!!!

These are my exact symptoms, both originally and after I installed the Stant.

QuoteTriumph cap replaced, topped off coolant and headed out for a ride.

No issues!  :-)

QuoteSo I guess trying to save a few $ cost me a lot of time and hassle.  So Live and learn. But IMHO avoid the Stant, bite the bullet and pay Triumph what they want for the OEM.

I did just that.  So... as soon as the weather clears and I can go for a ride, I'll know for sure.

Thanks for the post.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

adrian jones

Ran 'er up to temp again today. No leaks drips or errors.  

So it does appear the Stant was the issue.  Well original "weeping" was caused by a bad Triumph cap seal ....then when replaced with the Stant....no weeping just massive "puking" ......

So at least on the 2005 Tiger.  AVOID the Stant.  A friend actually just CLEANED his stock Triumph cap with hot water and a soft bristle brush.........and fixed the weeping.....FOR FREE........who knew.

good luck with yours macgart
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

walker

my original triumph cracked the thin metal plate that holds the second larger seal in place.... used a stant temporarily - had to mash down the side tabs on the cap so that the outer seal was tight enough (The one that lets coolant into the overflow hose, but keeps it under the cap).

Would have worked for a long time, but I was just waiting for the triumph replacement. Still have the stant - it's good in a pinch - just needed to modify that tab is all.

Heck - if you think it's just gunk in the cap, you can pull them apart and clean everything out, reassemble. I did this, but mine was physically damaged.