News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another rough running Girly(Update, sweet)

Started by Timbox2, February 14, 2010, 07:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

So, when I picked her up 2 weeks ago she seemed fine, but over the last week or so the low rev running seems to be getting worse, anywhere between 2500 and 4000 rpm she is really hunting or maybe even missing making for a really jerky ride, open her up and shes fine.

Where should I start? Plugs, Throttle bodies, air filter?, fuel filter even.

All help appreciated, TA
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

I had that exact problem when I changed to an aftermarket can without the TOR tune.  Wasn't enough back pressure.

Could be a great deal of things though.

First things I would check.

Air leaks in the intake boots or hoses for the throttle control valve (inspect for cracks)

Bad throttle position sensor. (check resistance)

Clogged air filter. (check filter)

bad plug / dying coil (inspect)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Timbox2

Cheers EB, do you know the expected resistance range for the TPS.

I was going to look at the AirFilter and plugs anyway, Ill look at all the hoses etc while im in there.
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

Bixxer Bob

Oh....God...... here we go again......

You done a fair few miles over the last couple of weeks.  It could be she's adjusting her trims out of spec amongst many other things.

Before pulling her apart, I'd simply do the Triumph tune ie start her from cold and don't touch the throttle (even when starting her) until the fan has been on for (I think) 12 minutes.  There's a thread on here about it somewhere.  That'll reset all the trims. If that cures the prob, then at least you'll have some idea where to start looking.  

I've been chasing rough low revs on mine for the 2 yrs I've had her, and nothing so far has worked completely.  

Oh, and just checking the voltage coming out of the TPS with a multimeter as you open the throttle won't tell you much.  If the TPS is shot at one particular part of the track, you'll see x volts on a multimeter, but on a scope you'll see variations or intermittent volts which the ECU can also see but it interprets as changes in throttle - hence rough running.  As mine's due a once over, I'll be checking mine soon.  If you need to change it, they're about £35 to buy but you'll also need a throttle body gasket as you can't get at the TPS without taking the TBs off.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Cheers for that Bob, I'll give it a go.
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

12 minute tune.

Pull clutch and start the bike.  Release clutch.

TOUCH NOTHING ELSE.

When the radiator cooling fan engages the first time, that begins the 12 minute clock.

After 12 minutes shut down the bike.

This should effectively reset all the sensor data.

JasonS

Quote from: "EvilBetty"12 minute tune.

Pull clutch and start the bike.  Release clutch.

TOUCH NOTHING ELSE.

When the radiator cooling fan engages the first time, that begins the 12 minute clock.

After 12 minutes shut down the bike.

This should effectively reset all the sensor data.

and it works the charm...

now what about the after ride tune up... ??

the way I heard it was... ( don;t yah just love the folk lore aspect of this crap...lol) go out for a long ride, where the bike is fully warmed up and has been running long enough to kick in the fan, but also so that the entire engine exhaust etc is totally at operating temps... then ride home and park the bike... leave it in neutral, idling and don;t touch it for 15 minutes. turn off with key and you are done....

my method always seems to do the trick well... perhaps the 12 minute/15minute thing is the real trick... letting it run that long without input and then a shut down.

weather trends tend to make an impact on how my Tiger runs... I find regular use of the auto tune results in a better running bike....
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

Chris Canning

Tim

I'd go plugs,NGK Iridium,if it's been dealer serviced they leave e'm in forever :(

Timbox2

Got up early this morning, tank off, airbox off, what looks like a BMC filter installed but Id bought an OE triumph one so stuck it in anyway, new plugs in as well though the old plugs didnt look too bad, anyway, loads better, hardly any hunting low down, do me for now.
2016 Tiger Sport