News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

98 Steamer, Where to hook up an auxilary power outlet

Started by Bob Tosi, May 19, 2010, 11:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

I took over the three-wire connector that supplies the clock and ditched the clock. There are two positive wires and one negative. The red one bypasses the ignition: that's the one I use for my aux power socket. The red and blue one is hot only when the ignition is on. I used that to power my voltmeter which replaced the clock. Works really well and now I don't worry about the clock slowly draining the battery.

Here's a picture.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bNWCp21GtiE/S_b-Y ... .04.11.jpg
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Bob Tosi

Colonel

very smart idea.  is there a digital meter that would work?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Colonel Nikolai

The one pictured was something like $13 and works fine. It was the first one I saw on the shelf at the auto parts store. Fits into the clock slot perfectly. Considering the sprag clutch issue it's more important to me my battery is holding a charge than what time it is.

Bob Tosi

QuoteConsidering the sprag clutch issue it's more important to me my battery is holding a charge than what time it is.

Exactly

Colonel Nikolai

Here's my auxiliary power panel. I made it from a piece of eighth inch aluminum laying around the house. Coated it with car undercoat and baked it very briefly on the stovetop to kinda match the black dash.

Jaythro

Ehm Guys n Gals

Would these be any use to ya? (Probably UK ireland at the moment)

But I have these

Alloy Socket Female 2 x 6.5mm male Spade terms on reverse

I usually wire these back to the battery and then use the mating male plugs to connect GPS heated vest etc etc

You drill a hole in a plastic part and then just attach the wires, fit the socket thru and screw up the big nut that you slid on the wire before passing wire thru the hole

Centre pin to centre pin is positive

Rated to 16 amps @12 volts

I have some pairs left in stock

Bob Tosi

Nice, how is it attached?

How much for those sockets?

Jaythro

You drill a hole in an obscoure bit of the bodywork OR make a small alloy bracket for it

There is a big nut behind to old it in place

I have sold a lot of these on teh UKgsers forum

last time £5.86 a pair (1 male, one female) posted UK/Ireland

or what I think is a stonking offer of £9.79 for TWO pairs posted UK

or 3 pairs £14.30 (post price goes up a wee bit!)

Paypal or cheque or postal order Is all good.

Roll Up Roll Up, Get your Requests in now please

I was in my local farm shop earlier this week and they have a similar outlets just not as robust looking plug at £3.68 and the all plastic socket (rather than the spun alloy bit on mine at £3.70 so looks like this is good value

Mustang

yeah but the ones at walmart are cigarette lighter size to fit the plugs on many of the gps units and ipod chargers and  12 volt cell phone chargers etc etc

while the ones you have are nice and tidy , it would require fitting an end to all of the devices one would want to  be able to plug in , would it not ?

Jaythro

Imdeed Oh Wise Stang!

BUT If ya have a tank bag and within that a one of these within It saves drillin multiple holes for multiple adaptors

PLUS if you get a second plug you can stick in on your trickle charger and not have any silly leads hanging out of the bike! :D

Quote from: "Mustang"yeah but the ones at walmart are cigarette lighter size to fit the plugs on many of the gps units and ipod chargers and  12 volt cell phone chargers etc etc

while the ones you have are nice and tidy , it would require fitting an end to all of the devices one would want to  be able to plug in , would it not ?
[/url]

Bob Tosi

ditched the clock and put in a volt meter, have the aux wire ready to tap into