News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Heated Grips

Started by grafty99, February 16, 2012, 10:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grafty99

Hello all,

It might just be me but i think the heated grip switch (factory one) should be illuminated, well whilst looking at things for my landrover i came across these, Carling switches. They are the same ones as the originals. The big window/heated grip symbol is illuminated green with the lights, the little bar glows orange when the switch is activated. the fronts are removable so just swap the switch faces over an hey presto, illuminated grip switch.

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Carling_Switches.shtml

BUT i can think of better ways of spending a tenner.

What do you all think? Waste of time?

George.
2000 885i Girly
2004 KTM SX 125
2002 TD5 Landrover Defender

(trying to keep it as British as possible!)

topher0268

Waste of time or not I was contemplating finding an oem style switch to wire up aftermarket heated grips anyway. Based on the info you just posted I found that a US vendor I've used for connectors has these in stock as well ... For all you US guys here's a link to the lineup. There's about a billion pages of options but you can dial it down to what you want from this link:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.asp ... 4294966217

Good find man!!!!
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

grafty99

Glad to be of service :)
2000 885i Girly
2004 KTM SX 125

Tigertriple

Good find. Just what I'm looking for  :D
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

cosmo

I used a switch from a Subaru - about a 2005, though all Subie and Nissan are quite similar. I also work at a Nissan - Subaru store...

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

HockleyBoy

Good find, I am also sad enough to bother changing mine over   :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

iansoady

I just put a little LED from Maplins in parallel with the switched side (I had intended to be fancy and have different colours for the 2 heat levels but backfeeding voltage stopped that).
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Tigertriple

Quote from: grafty99Hello all,

It might just be me but i think the heated grip switch (factory one) should be illuminated, well whilst looking at things for my landrover i came across these, Carling switches. They are the same ones as the originals. The big window/heated grip symbol is illuminated green with the lights, the little bar glows orange when the switch is activated. the fronts are removable so just swap the switch faces over an hey presto, illuminated grip switch.

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Carling_Switches.shtml

Which or of the switches is the one to order. I thought it would be the on,off,on one. The reason I'm asking is because the original Tiger switch has 3 terminals on it where these switches have 4.

Am I just being dense

:lol:
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

cosmo

The Subie switch has 5 wires. Power in. Ground in. 2 power out. Light power in. The switch is illuminated and has an 'ON' indication LED.

Nissan have one that has low and high power indication.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

blacktiger

Quote from: "grafty99"Which or of the switches is the one to order. I thought it would be the on,off,on one. The reason I'm asking is because the original Tiger switch has 3 terminals on it where these switches have 4.

Am I just being dense

:lol:

My guess is that the 4th terminal is for the powering the light. Or am I being dense?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

grafty99

the extra pins are earth and sidelight power in for the illumination :)
2000 885i Girly
2004 KTM SX 125