News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mikuni Float heights

Started by ngm8x, February 09, 2010, 10:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIMbox

I have a spare set of Mikuni carbs from my Tiger that I upgraded for Keihin's to try to cure poor running. It made no real difference for general riding, so my carbs are probably ok, but I suspect the emulsion tubes are probably worn.  I live in Middlesex, so if you are near, and want to borrow them, we may be able to arrange something. I found that  replacing the coils for pre 2000 TT600 sticks was a good move, curing the intermittent loss of cylinder when hot,  But due to the low usage I give the Tigger, It always runs like poo for the 1st 20 miles after a break in riding of more than a week or two.

BR

Quote from: "MIMbox"...replacing the coils for pre 2000 TT600 sticks was a good move, curing the intermittent loss of cylinder when hot,  But due to the low usage I give the Tigger, It always runs like poo for the 1st 20 miles after a break in riding of more than a week or two.

Dang.. mine does the same thing if it's been sitting.  Runs like crap for the first few miles.  I've done the Daytona coils as well which def helped the occasional dropped cyl and poor running.  Here's a picture:

ngm8x

thanks mimbox for the carb offer. I will keep it in mind.
Am thinking the coils and leads would be first check.

The bike that is playing up is my friends, but i have the same tiger model so was going to test my working leads on his before buying some.

I am still not convinced that his carb is working properly so may get in touch about the spare set.
I dont really want to take my carbs off and test them on his bike as sods law will mean that they wont work properly when back on mine!!

I live in Bristol, UK so bit far from middlesex at the mo!

will look out for some other triumph coils on ebay.

cheers

ngm8x

does anyone know if these coils would be suitable and better for the tiger

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1182

they are off a thunderbird not sure which year. have asked the seller.
the plug cap leads look slightly different too, may have to keep the original ones on.

cheers

Mustang

The thunderbird coils are the very same crap as the tiger coils , don't bother especially at that price . you will cure the coil woes , if you have them , with NOLOGYS

The last time I checked they were about $200 US Dollars

or if you can find some OEM coils that are marked 'PVL' instead of Gill you will have a winning coil

NOLOGYS are PVL coils
IT's the GILL coils that are junk.

MIMbox

Re the coils, Current price of the ebay auction is £90, with 7hrs. I strongly feel that a far better way of curing it is to buy 3 coils from a set like this.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TT600-200 ... 5637430971
Get a set of connectors from this and have some spare cable.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/01-Triumph-TT600- ... 439b73ab6d
Total cost, about £60, got to be better value.
Fit and forget. More space under tank, and a spare coil stick if you want.
Don't waste money on original coils, and I really see no benefit in buying Nology at these prices.

ngm8x

thanks for the heads up on the coil situation.
i had seen a few pvl coils and werent sure if they were the dodgy ones.

i notice on a triumph website that the crank trigger coil is also a suspect culprit.
if the bike wont run at all it suggest to me that it isnt just one coil but perhaps the thing that brings the power initially?

anyone replaced this part

http://www.triumphparts.co.uk/10442/inf ... h=&sought=

Mustang

yep ,you'll know when its bad bike will run superb up until it gets nice and warm and then just dies as if you flipped the kill switch then after 15 minutes when it cools off it will fire right up and run great until it gets hot again , .

I have replaced many on my own tigers and others bikes that I have worked on .

If going on a long trip I keep one in the saddle bag    :shock:

ngm8x

thanks mimbox for those links.

The first one you sent just shows plug cap leads? do the thin wires that push onto the coils on the tiger just attach to the top of these plug caps?
Am i right in thinking that the tt600 doesnt have the coils that are about 2inches square?

Also the second link you sent......which part of that wiring loom can i use? i couldnt see anything in there that i need.
The crank coil pick up isnt fixed into the loom from the picture i see on the triumphparts.co.uk website.

cheers

MIMbox

Hi NGM8X.
Perhaps a quick explanation is in order.
If you refer to BR's posted picture, on page 1 of this thread, the small stick replaces all the original parts coil and cable shown
The items shown on my 1st ebay link are TT600 Triumph  coil sticks. This is literally the coil and cap in one package that replaces the whole of the standard seperate coil and lead. You remove both the coil from the frame, and the lead and cap, and this replaces the lot, fitting into the spark plug hole, and onto the spark plug.
The second link shows a wiring loom from a 600, which looks to have the small waterproof connectors needed to join the coil sticks to the loom.
You would need to splice or fit connectors to join your loom to the new coilsticks.
The ignitor/coil pickup/crank coil pickup, is not pictured in that loom, it was just to get the connectors to match the coils.
You would want to buy a pickup new from whoever sells them at the best price. The naming convention for coils, coilstick, igniter etc can be a little misleading.

ngm8x

thanks for clearing that up
i was jus finding it hard to believe that the coilstick could replace the whole coil as the coil stick seems too small to have a coil in it!!

will check out the wiring loom.
thanks
again

nightrunner

I did the TT600 coil swap long ago and have no regrets.  Works great.  It would be cool to have the stock connectors but I just bought small female spade connectors and made jumper wires to the Tiger's coil connectors under the tank.  That way I could switch back if I ever had to.  The coils do not appear to be polarized so no worries about which wire to which terminal.  

If you want to do a first class swap then figure some sort of grommet, donut, or lip seal to take up the space between the stick coil and the hole in the valve cover to keep the dirt out.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

ngm8x

thanks night runner
i was a little aprehensive about putting those coilsticks in.
I spoke to the guys at sprint manufacturing (triumphparts.co.uk) and they hadnt heard of anyone doing that.

I put my tested and fully working pvl (made in germany) coils on my friends bike today but it made no difference his still ran lumpy and would die if you plipped the throttle quickly. His coils were also the pvl make.

Might try and swap my crank coil pickup lead next, if that doesnt cure it i am not sure where to go next.

back to the carbs?? as it feels like its not getting enough/or getting too much air.

cheers

Mustang

it's not electrical
did you stop the gas leak from the needle valves ?

if not fix that first
next clean the pilot jets

what about valve clearances have you checked em ?
are the fuel filters clean there is one in the inlet pipe between #2  AND #3 carb

ngm8x

the needle valves havent leaked anything at all but not split the carbs yet to check that filter (didnt realise there was one between 2 and 3 cylinder)

the crank coil lead tends to break down after 10 or 15mins so i dont think its that.

will investigate the carbs again......when i can muster the energy, its wore me a bit thin.