News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Looking for a knowledgeable wrench near DC to tutor me

Started by matteblack, February 04, 2010, 12:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matteblack

Hi all. I'm in my third year of riding, on my forth bike, and have some decent trips under my belt (Arctic Circle/Inuvik one year, Newfoundland another). Now I feel it's time for me to improve my motorcycle repair and maintenance skills - with a goal of having a better understanding and ability in routine maintenance needs, and also being more proficient at fixing things when they go wrong on the road. The problem is, I need an experienced, knowledgeable tutor with a garage and tools and a few years of working on bikes under their belt to show me the ropes.

I have basic tools and am fine doing basic jobs like changing the oil, checking fluids and battery, installing farkles etc. I have an engineering background and a pretty keen mind, so pick things up fast, but it's much easier to actually see things done and be shown procedures by someone than it is to read about it in a book and hope you're doing it right. I'm hoping there's someone out there within a couple of hours ride of DC who wouldn't mind spending a few hours with me on the odd weekend helping me learn a few new things. I'm happy to reciprocate however I can - whether that's buy the pizza, mow the yard after we're done, help you brush up on computer skills - whatever.

I ride a 2006 Triumph Tiger right now. Any of the regular maintenance procedures coming up would be of interest - particularly checking the valve clearances which will be needed in another 4,000 miles or so. I also need to get a better understanding of removing the wheels and changing tires (embarrassing, but have never had to do it so far). There could also be some electrical tinkering. I'm sure there's lots to learn...

My ideal scenario would be to find someone who is fun to be around yet serious about how they take care of their bike. Perhaps an older guy who has some stories to tell and the time to share their hard-earned knowledge with a "youngster" (I'm 31). Someone who knows "Girly" Tigers would be perfect. While I appreciate anyone taking the time to respond, I have to say upfront that I'm not interested in someone who doesn't really know what they're doing - no disrespect, but I don't want my bike to become an experiment gone bad, and of course I'll have to ride home at the end of the day.

I think that's about it. Sorry for the long post. Feel free to reply with offers of help or other insights, or PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

(PS - I just posted this over on ADVrider as well, in case folks see it there, too)

jphish

Hey Matteblack - Great idea! I happen to be in the other Wa & have very few Tiger skills & little experience. Other than that...I'm the perfect candidate. As a variation on your theme, I was thinking of inquiring if any other local Tiger owners wanted to chip in and hire a bonefide Triumph Tech (or extremely knowledgable Tiger owner) for a Saturday to put on a class for the 12k service. That would cover most of what we're likely to be confronted with. Doubt the Dealer would do it for insurance reasons, and finding a suitable location could be problematic. In spite of that, I think it's doable. The 1 on 1 would be preferable, but this could be an acceptable substitute & a real plus for us 'visual' learners. If someone wanted to video the experience, I'm sure many owners would be interested in purchase. Good luck in your quest for knowledge.