News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie to this forum

Started by haggis95, March 14, 2010, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haggis95

As you may know from another site, 8)  I've got 2 Triumphs - Sprint RS and a Bonnie.

Bonnie is staying.

My RS was my first bike love, but I'm jonesing for a Tiger.  Not the new one - too much like an RS in many ways, but a 2004-6 model.

I've hemmed and hawed about this because I am LOATHE to sell the RS, but I hardly ride it any more, and want to do some LONG trips over the next few years.

Anyone here - probably lots - moved from a Sprint to a Tiger?  Any regrets (I know I will lose some handling, but will gain butt stamina!), and pleasant suprises?
There's a Tiger in my garage

Colonel Nikolai

I did it. I'll say my 96 Sprint certainly has more torque and considerably more horsepower but the Tiger feels more maneuverable and lighter probably because of the wider handlebars.

I still love my Sprint but I plan to keep the Tiger. The reason I started looking at a Tiger is because I wanted to go off the beaten path a little. Not fly the thing or washboard and muck for thousands of miles, but handle a bad road or two. Not really doable with the Sprint.

The Sprint, because it has racing pipes on it, sounds better. It has that triple sound that is completely unusual and mellifluously lovely like no other bike sounds. Every spring when I first start it after a long winter I get this huge uncontrolled grin the moment is sparks to life. An L2 Ducati sounds just as beautiful, but totally different and that's the only comparison.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Sin_Tiger

You might not notice as much difference with the handling as you're expecting, especially with a Roadie. I don't think you'll hear many complain about all day comfort, even on the Roadie. The screen is probably the one issue that will need sorting to suit yourself, search and yee shall find reams on the subject.

Neat Nickname btw  8) Oh and welcome of course  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

flaco

I did it too, but more so. I changed from a Sprint ST 1050 to an 03 Tiger. The Tiger went in for its 24,000 mile service today and the dealer gave me a loan bike to get home on- a red Sprint ST 1050. I still can't wait to get back to my Tiger. A sports-tourer is a sports-tourer, but a Tiger's a motor-bike.
kernow bys vyken

JasonS

I went from an 03 Sprint to an 06 Tiger...  in stock configuration I think that the tiger is more wallowy in corner and its higher center of gravity makes cornering feel different. That said, once I adapted to the Tiger I found that while it doesn't have the full lean and go capacity of the Sprint, it has enough to satisfy me.

The tiger offers more of a "sit up and beg" riding position, whereas the RS or stock Sprint required a lean fwd tuck position. The Tiger won;t wheel up as easy. With risers, standing while riding is a snap on the Tiger and was always a bit of an uncomfortable reach on the Sprint (even with Heli Bars on it)

The 06 Tiger would be the choice if you can find one. They used thew 1050 engine case with the 955 internals, so the look is a bit cleaner. It is also the last in the line of Girlies and benefits from having been updated as much as one can find.

Stock wind protection is a bot better on the sprint  due to the full farings.

Comfort is way better on the Tiger, although many taller folk battle with head buffeting, myself included on the Tiger... for all but all day rides I have found the Sport Screen to create the smoothest airflow..  give a read through this site and you'll tons of info on the buffeting issue.

There is a thread with the most common add-ons for Tigers... my top of the list item is a set of crash bars... the tiger is a beastly thing at a stand still and can easily tip beyond the point of no return and there is no holding it up... and over it goes... wuth Bars, it isn;t a problem... just let'er go!

So much of the setup between the two bikes is the same.. you can feel the Triumphness carried over to the Tiger.

The RS and ST were unique bikes... they looked different... they stood out and were not afraid to not look like the std UJM stuff... the Tiger also stands out as unlike any other bike... here in Maine there are so few that the Tiger stands out .... I am partial to the curves of the older ST and Tiger models.. they look proper British is style.

Your height and weight will make a big difference in how the bike fits you... .. us Taller folks need even  more room than the roomy Tiger provides and we add custom seats and bar risers and lowered footpegs.. and the heavy amongst us keep going with shock upgrades... I added more larger drive sprocket , some add smaller... the Tiger is very customizable...

A move from an RS/ST to a Tiger is a brainless transition that will give you most of the capabilities you have had with more comfort.

Cheers!!
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

Tom Herold

I went from an 2000 Sprint ST to the 05 Tiger and haven't looked back. Not much to add to the other's thoughts and experiences, I agree on all counts.

I'd suggest trying a test ride first to confirm the fit and feel before selling/buying.

No doubt the bike will definately sell itself to you though.... :)
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

haggis95

Thanks gentlemen for the detailed replies.  I appreciate your input.  I'll keep a look out for an 06.
There's a Tiger in my garage

aeronca

Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Advwannabe

Slightly left field answer to your question: I tried an '03 955 Sprint and a '06 1050 Sprint as a potential replacement for my Tiger 955.

Now this is purely subjective and the Sprint is a great bike but.... I found it to have too much of a soft edge to its handling to make it worthwhile to replace the Tiger with it. Yes it was sharper in the cornering department, but not so much that it was worth giving up the Tiger's allroad capacity. On both bikes there is a delay flicking them from side to side and a relitive lack of accuracy in the steering due to the suspension and geometry.

I kept the Tiger and bought a Daytona to keep it company!

So I think what you lose in buying your Tiger is not that much and will be repaid richly by the extra capability you gain. Enjoy your Tiger hunt!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

PeteH

Quote from: "haggis95"As you may know from another site, 8)  I've got 2 Triumphs

You did`nt have to to travel over here to ask the question, we`re all friendly on the other site too :)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Mustang

Quote from: "PeteH"
Quote from: "haggis95"As you may know from another site, 8)  I've got 2 Triumphs

You did`nt have to to travel over here to ask the question, we`re all friendly on the other site too :)

:ImaPoser

coachgeo

Quote from: "PeteH"

So true so true butttt... shhhhhh.  8) don't tell him that. :roll:   We want more Tigers in our zoo here. :D
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)