News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can you use a different size tire....?

Started by crazy legs, January 15, 2010, 04:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy legs

Hello friends,
    I'm looking for street tires for my '05 Tiger and was wondering if you could safely use a different size tire. Instead of the 110/80x19 front could you use a 110/90x19? All of my riding will be street and I wanted to best grip and a smooth ride.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Lets Ride!

Dan

Personally, and speaking as a tyre fitter for too many years, i wouldn't recommend it. Worse case scenario it can really upset the handling characteristics of the bike.
The tyre you describe is 10% taller than the stock tyre you describe...
Not something I would try, but entirely up to you.
If I was any better, I\'d be twins!!!

2001 Girly = Swiss Army Knife
2010 Blade = Scalpel

Mustang

Quote from: "crazy legs"Hello friends,
    I'm looking for street tires for my '05 Tiger and was wondering if you could safely use a different size tire. Instead of the 110/80x19 front could you use a 110/90x19? All of my riding will be street and I wanted to best grip and a smooth ride.

Thanks in advance for your help.
The 100/80-19 is going to be the better handling tire on the pavement due to the lower profile 80 % of of tread width  the 110 /90 is going to be substantially taller and you may find it could quite possibly interfere with the front fender and /or brake calipers .

TheMule

For street riding I can recommend the continental Road Attack, it is a great tire that is available in the 110/80.

Todd
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

jonathan jaecks

Swapping sizes is probably a bad idea...in fact I'd go so far as to say it's almost certainly not good.  You can manipulate available grip by swapping to more road oriented rubber like a Michelin Pilot Road, which is available in a 19, run (slightly) lower pressure, and if increased increased turn-in is desired push the fork tubes up 5mm or so (be very mindful of severe rake/trail adjustments).  

just my 2 cents...

Jonathan
06' Tiger

Chris-ilm

Hi, I have an 05 Girly. Soon as I got her I changed the tyres to Bridgestone BT 020. Totally changed the bike for the better as I only use her on the road. They've done 8000 so far and have another 1000 let in them.
Don\'t look back in anger, don\'t look forward in fear, look around with a smile from ear to ear!!!

Tiger 955i (2005)
Pan European ST1100

Bixxer Bob

That's good mileage.  I have BT020s on my Blackbird and get 4500 from the rear and around 7000 from a front.  Has a few more gee gees though... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Buffalo

I switched to Avon Distanza tires on my '05, much better road tire than the Anakees in my opinion, they come in tiger sizes too.
\'05 Tiger 955i
74 Suzuki GT550