News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Motorcycle scrappage scheme

Started by Sniffy, February 18, 2010, 10:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sniffy

While browsing the MCIA website, this caught my eye

"The industry is keen to halt the trend of declining sales and has called on the Government to consider a scrappage scheme for the
motorcycle sector. Key industry figures are to meet the Business and Enterprise Minister to discuss this and related issues early in
February"

So the question is, if motorcycle scrappage becomes a reality would it interest any of you?
I'm thinking that if they apply the same 10yr rule as exists for cars then the question only really applies to Steamer or early Girly owners.

Link to the MCIA article
Steve

John Stenhouse

No interest at all. The car scheme was a joke, the only economy it helped was Korea they sold loads of Hyundais. At least the Americans had the good sense to disqualify classic cars, our bunch of muppets didn't even do that.

Al it took off the road was the good secondhand stuff, the real clunkers are driven by people who can't afford a new car even with two grand off!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

oxnsox

Read something about it in MSL a few months back.

I wouldn't think the 'model' would for bikes the same way it worked for cars.... There'd be folk standing by the crusher stopping some models going in me thinks.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick Calne

Scrap old motorbikes?  Why?  OK if your going to bin scooters or something.  But is there anything better than say an old steamer with 60k on it saying "restore me restore me".  

No, scrapping old bikes is verging on satanic.

I'm with Oxnsox here.  If they start scrapping bikes I'll be pulling stuff out of the crusher!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

abruzzi

Here in the US with our cash for clunkers program, the government required certification that the engine was siezed. Most dealers that took trades drained the oil and poured some epoxy in the crankcase then ran it until it siezed. Then the vin and engine number were recorded so they couldn't be retitled.

The best collectors could usually hope for was to strip some parts off the car before crushing.

Geof

Bixxer Bob

Statistics have it that over 80% of Harleys ever made are still on the road....

The rest all made it home  ....

Hat, coat,   gone....  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...