News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A matter of voltage....

Started by hanappe, March 10, 2010, 07:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanappe

Hi all guys!!
This is my first post here!! Nice to meet you :)
I'm from Italy and I bought a used 2001 Tiger 955i.... globally it's ok but I noticed that at high rpm the headlights dimmer sligthly while at idle are brighter.... I asked a friend to measure volts because I have not a multimeter. He connected the multimeter to battery poles and at idle I have 14,6 v while at 5000 rpm have 13,5.
I read some post of yours about the charging system failures and the voltage fix but what do you think about my situation?
Does it not be the contrary??? when rpm goes up the volts goes up???
I'm sorry for my bad english :( I hope you understand what I wrote....

Thx

Bixxer Bob

Welcome to the Tiger cage Hanappe, the voltage drop at higher revs seems to be normal - mine is the same.

I have a theory why it happens, but would like to hear the physics from others.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

hanappe

I hope you are right Bob and everything in charging system is working properly!!!

Some guys from an Italian Tiger forum told me that my RR or alternator are going down.... :(

Bixxer Bob

Whilst Reg recs are a problem on some 955s I wouldn't jump to (expensive) conclusions.  If they go down you'll know in a very few short kilometers.  Tigers don't go far on a dead battery.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

oxnsox

At higher rpm's the output is at max... and the reg is dumping the load, which will pull down the voltage.

At low rpm there is no current to dump so voltage stays hi..
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hanappe

Ok oxnsox, so these mean that my values are normals....I guess!  :?:

hanappe

Sorry guys for bugging you, just to understand..... I saw this short clip from the Voltage Fix topic  :  
When this guy open the throttle the voltage goes up while when I do the same the voltage drop down..... Which is the reason?? Maybe this guy didn't connect the voltmeter to the battery, probably he connected it directly to alternator??? Is it right???

Thx again!

Mustang

he's got 110 watts of xtra load on the system and is only showing 12.4 volts at idle when the throttle goes up the voltage indeed goes up because of the load , without the xtra load you are probably not going to see the voltage increase . your regulator is doing what it is supposed to do prevent the battery from being overcharged  that is why they are called regulators .

add 110 watts of xtra lights and see what happens  :lol:

ps  he's also a member here

hanappe