News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Winter Sprag?

Started by RiderX, December 09, 2009, 05:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"It's a pretty funny image though.  Someone out there with a dremel trying to cut out a giant section of 1/4" steel from an engine block.

Isn't it aluminum?  Good thinking, though - I'll use the angle grinder...

I wonder how pissed he'd be when he started it up and it split right down the side.   :lol:
\'96 Steamer

RiderX

Don't think the thought didn't cross my mind as I was pulling all the gears and parts out and thinking "now why did they have an access plate on the earlier bikes and not on the later ones?!"  :twisted:

RiderX

BTW, had planned on finishing up Monday night, but Monday afternoon the shop called and said "your new airbox will be in on Wednesday." I just didn't see the point in putting it back together just to pull the carbs back out to replace the airbox. What a stupid design. I seem to remember some other folks on the forum who had come up with some other solutions to this puzzle. Anyone know?
So wish me luck as I get the rest put back together tonight and push that precious little right-hand thumb button!

RiderX

Thought I'd better post some of the pictures I took with the cell phone. I didn't bother to take many since it has been so well documented in other threads. In any case this first one is of the frame and my buddy kept saying "that looks stupid!" I couldn't help thinking it reminded me of a sad, anorexic camel:

The next two are of the engine pulled and sitting on the bike lift. It was a very handy tool to have borrowed:

The next one is of the split case after pulling the starter gear. We were very pleased with how clean and new it all looked considering it has 34k on it:

The last is my personal favorite and I like to say we had all the right tools including towles, cleaner, power tools and lubricant:

BTW, you can see the handy workbench that DesertDog custom-made himself and loaned to me for the job. Putting this bad boy up on the sawhorses sure saved on the ol' back and knees!

Mustang

I like the engine stand ..very handy

Dr. Mordo

Yes, very nice engine stand.

I actually don't mind the airbox/carb situation on the Tiger.  Conversely, on my F650 the airbox is held in place by the exhaust, so to get the carbs out you just have to rip it out from between the airbox rubbers and the intake manifold, which leads to torn rubbers.  Then, guess how you get it back in?  That's right - use a prybar to stuff it back in.  I much prefer the Tiger setup.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Strangely enough, even although some of the other stuff was horrific, when mine was opened up at 85k mls it looked pretty clean too. The oil was black but as I tell my students, that's the way it's meant to be. If you take oil out and it's still clean then one of two things is the cause, you are running on LPG or the oil is not doing part of it's job.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint