News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Any reputable triumph dealer in eastern ohio??

Started by barbwire44, March 14, 2010, 07:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbwire44

I just bought a 2000 Tiger, the previous owner didn't have it long,,last fall, and didn't know if the first owner had done the valve check,,, it has 18000 miles on it, sounds great runs great, does not show any signs that the valves are out of spec,,,but I would like to check them, or have them checked, I live in eastern ohio, near the WV & PA border, and there aren't any dealers close to me, I just don't want to take it somewhere that does not do good work... I have always did my own valve adjustments on my dirtbikes with no problems but I have never messed with the shim, bucket design....should I just buy the tool and do it my self??
thanks
2000 Triumph Tiger
KTM 300 XC-W
XR650L  Big Red Pig!

Mustang

you don't need anything other than a feeler gauge to check the clearances
and the tool is nice to change out one or two shims or you can pull the cams

see this thread and decide for yourself

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5386

Yukon

If you choose to go the dealer route, make the trip to Windber PA and see Tim at Triumph of Windber.  This is a small family operation with a great mechanic.  His prices are very reasonable.

barbwire44

i am tempted, where do you get the aftermarket tool ? Also thanks for the dealer info, it is just shy of 3 hours from me....figures. Well let me ask you this if a dealer did this, how long would it take, I would probably have the Fi synced as well, maybe I could drop it off early and pick it up in the evening??
2000 Triumph Tiger
KTM 300 XC-W
XR650L  Big Red Pig!

Mustang

Quote from: "barbwire44"i am tempted, where do you get the aftermarket tool ?
http://knlcycle.homelinux.com/

Yukon

Quote from: "barbwire44"Well let me ask you this if a dealer did this, how long would it take, I would probably have the Fi synced as well, maybe I could drop it off early and pick it up in the evening??

If you trailered the bike that would work.  The engine must be cool to check the clearances.  When I had mine done, I was charged for 3 hours of labor.  This included the valve clearances, oil change, inspection and new tire installation.  All of my clearances we ok, thus I did not have any time involved to change the shims.

barbwire44

ok, well I guess it must not take to long to check then, ya I'm gonna at least check them myself, I was fearing some serious time just to get it stripped down and the head off, must not be as bad as it looks from the outside.
Thanks
2000 Triumph Tiger
KTM 300 XC-W
XR650L  Big Red Pig!

barbwire44

ordered the tool from mustang. get ready for more questions..LOL!!!
2000 Triumph Tiger
KTM 300 XC-W
XR650L  Big Red Pig!

Mustang

it's not that bad.................getting your tank off is the worst part  :shock: