News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tiger Rider

Started by Bear900, March 07, 2010, 01:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear900

Hi All,
Thought i would say hello. I have a 96 Daytona 900,  but yesterday i put a deposit down on a 2002 tiger.

The Daytona is beautiful but i cannot handle the clipons any more. I was riding up the freeway the other day, and had aching knee's shoulders and wrists and thought, this is not what riding is supposed to be. I am just not enjoying myself.

So with my very limited budget i have picked up a black 2002. I am 6'3' and the minute i sat on it it felt almost perfect. It is high k's, 101,000 to be exact but for 5grand AUD with 12 months rego it was just in the price range.

The motor feels tight enough, and on the whole it is good condition for the work it has done. Just needs a tidy up.

To be honest i have never really considered a dual sport before and now i wonder why. They are basically custom made to suit Australian conditions but they really dont sell all that well here.

Anyway i am really happy with the purchase. I just hope the engine hangs on for a few more years yet.........

So i am in the lap of the Triumph reliability gods! Am i crazy?? I have had a Speed Triple, Rocket 3 and the Daytona over the years and have never had a problem. I hope it continues.......

Anyway i am looking for info on all things Tiger and this looks to be the place.

Cheers

Mustang

welcome this site  is all tiger all the time ...................

Tigers put a silly grin on your face .

Bear900

Thanks for the welcome. There looks to be a wealth of info. Although i am horrified to have bought a 'Girly!' ! :D

Tiger04

You will love her,wash her polish her and then RIDE the hell out of her too,All with a big smile on your face!!!!! :P  :)  :lol:  :D  :eusa_dance  :headbang Welcome to Tiger land!
Henry
13 Tiger in Beautiful Sapphire Blue
"Tigers aren't for wimps"

Sin_Tiger

Wot, you never wanted to spank a Girly  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bear900

Thanks for the replies and welcomes.

I have just never seen a chick with eyelashes that big!  :lol:

I have given the wife a two year guarantee with this bike. This will be eight bikes in 6 years, so she has a point.......... however to be fair to myself, some have been financial decisions.

I really think this might finally be what i have been looking for. A bike that ticks all my boxes. I cannot for the life of me wonder why i havent looked at one before. I have been cramming myself on all manner of sportsbikes over the years! I would really love a 1050 but finances dictate i can't, and besides, i like the at least half decent off road capabilities of the earlier models. If it can handle shitty dirt roads i am happy.

I am wondering why the reviews i have read on the Tiger keep saying "pretends to be, but not really meant for off road"???
I mean i know i cant be tackling monster fire trails and MX tracks on the big heavy thing but i feel there must be some decent dirt ability in there.

These are also the same reviews, mind you, where all the pics are on perfectly smooth tarmac.

Any opinions on this??

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Bear900"I am wondering why the reviews i have read on the Tiger keep saying "pretends to be, but not really meant for off road"???

:shock:  :shock:  Better not tell Fano !!

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ng&start=0

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Mustang

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"
Quote from: "Bear900"I am wondering why the reviews i have read on the Tiger keep saying "pretends to be, but not really meant for off road"???

:shock:  :shock:  Better not tell Fano !!

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ng&start=0

KK
or patrick or Mudhen or flux or dag or many others who dabble off road with the big beasts , hell even tigger 2 has been where it knows better but still did it . :shock:

JasonS

I mean i know i cant be tackling monster fire trails and MX tracks on the big heavy thing but i feel there must be some decent dirt ability in there.

Any opinions on this??

1st off welcome... :D

The tiger is a beasty thing... an extremely higher center of gravity and tall gears... one can gear down easy enough, but it is still a tall drink of water, and it also weighs a good deal more than something that would be easy(er?) to ride in  sand and mud.  I've been through all sorts of gravel and the tiger is very capable in those conditions, and even good single track is fine with the right tires. Mud and sand are where it just takes commitment and skill to shove that beast around like a dirt bike... I don;t have the balls to try it but many here have and bless them for it... I love to see them go at it.. it shows that it is almost a case of it being more man than machine... I can envision riding my tiger like that.. I won't do it.. but I can see it being very doable...

when the reviewers say what they do, they are right for 90% of potential riders... I think it take someone with exceptional riding skills to take a Tiger into the M&S and boulder fields... and the bike is not really designed for that job.. mind you with a few tweeks it certainly can..  on my trip last years I did 100's of miles of gravel and the Tiger ate it up, and that fully loaded... I think some of the way the Tiger looks was dictated more by marketing than function.. IE maybe they built the tall bike to look off road on purpose..  I think it is one of the better bikes out there for the taller than avg amongst us... at 6'4", I am cramped on many other bikes...

didn;t note if you have done this, but a high priority mod is crash/engine bars... i got a set of thunderbike bars.. had to cut and modify to fit my '06 because of the 1050 engine case, but love love love them...

again welcome..
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

Bear900

Nice Pics!! thats more like it. Good to see some lads on here giving their tigers hell.  :twisted:

I would love to put on some half decent knobbies and get out on some of the knarlier roads down here. There are thousands of kilometers of shitty goat tracks in Oz.

Thanks again for the welcomes.

aeronca

Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Advwannabe

Think of it as an 'all roads' bike and it all starts to make sense.

Taking her offroad can be done, but it's hard work on you and the machine.

Riding it several thousand miles, hitting a bit of gravel without a second thought, then throwing it on its side in the twisties till the footpegs drag and you think "Damn I love this bike!"

Enjoy
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Bear900

All Road. Thats sounds about perfect to me.

I am just happy with the comfort. It is like a couch after the Daytona. All that leg room!