News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Loose kickstand?

Started by cochris, March 07, 2010, 02:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cochris

Hi- While out today at a stop, I noticed my kickstand has about an inch, inch and 1/2 play in it, opposite of the movement. Came home, tightened it as much as it would go; still there. Is there a bushing that went south, or is this normal? Never noticed it before...

cochris

More like 2 inches play...

Mustang

cochris

Mustang

all three of mine are pretty sloppy
it's a steamer thing ................  :roll:

they wear a little with age and even replacing with a new kickstand won't really do much for it .

cochris

OK- thanks.  Mine leans quite a bit- maybe time for the hockey puck. Just don't want to be THAT guy picking his bike up in the lot...

Nick Calne

Time for a centre stand?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Colonel Nikolai

I have a 96 Sprint and it also has a lot of slop and leans over quite a bit. It does have a stock center-stand, which helps.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Sin_Tiger

Both Steamers I have seen are like that. Took mine apart and having the frame bracket reamed out and a bush fitted, then a new pin to match, mates is the same and waiting to see how I get on before he does his. Sorry no pic's yet.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"having the frame bracket reamed out and a bush fitted, then a new pin to match, mates is the same and waiting to see how I get on before he does his. Sorry no pic's yet.

was thinking of getting that done on mine, as it definately 'settles' once its one the sidestand...

c-rad

I had the same problem, and all the wear/deformation seemed to be in the bracket, rather than the shoulder bolt.  I ordered a drill bushing from McMaster Carr and bored the bracket for a press fit of the bushing.  I don't remember the P/N but it wasn't hard to find given the diameter of the shoulder bolt and thickness of the bracket.  Really reduced the "slop" of the side stand.

I re-used the shoulder bolt, but added a grease zerk to the end with a circumferential groove so I could lube it periodically without taking off the stand.  I also straightened the stand a bit, added a gusset and a thicker (1/4") foot pad.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "c-rad"I re-used the shoulder bolt, but added a grease zerk to the end with a circumferential groove so I could lube it periodically without taking off the stand.  I also straightened the stand a bit, added a gusset and a thicker (1/4") foot pad.

That's also on my list for the fabricator since he's making a completely new leg, thought the grease nipple might have been overkill but at least I am not alone there 8)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

Quote from: "nickcalne"Time for a centre stand?

The centerstand is good to have, but I don't recommend it for daily use.  It is not easy to get the mc up on the centerstand, especially if you have the cases on.  

++++++++
Jon

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "97tiger885"t I don't recommend it for daily use.  It is not easy to get the mc up on the centerstand,

Good charachter building stuff  :lol:

abruzzi

I bought a new stand for my steamer because I was tired of the lean.  The new one had almost as much slop as the old one, but it doesn't lean too far loke the old one.  The excessive lean come from the stand tube bending, not the slop in the shaft.

Surprisingly, the elbow wasn't where the stand bent, it was the lover straight that bowed.  It wasn't really noticeable until I got it off the bike.

Geof