News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly Upgrade: TOR Map, New Tires, Tune Up = New Bike!

Started by Danny955i, March 18, 2010, 06:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

So, I'm wanting to do some SERIOUS riding this year. Not to say that past years I haven't piled on the miles. My old GS500 Lasted me from 7k to 16k and I had it all of seven months. Now, with the Girly in the stable, putting high-miles on a 10 year-old machine is best done with parts that aren't 10 years old.

For a little background; I bought the bike used last August (09) with 1000 miles on it. A gentleman bought it in 01' new, had some health issues and parked it for 8 years until he decided to drop it off at the dealer on consignment. $4500 bucks later, I own it.

I've already put 5000 miles on it between August 09' and March 10' with two solid months of NOT riding in-between. So, that gives you the idea as to the mileage I plan to put on her this year.

When the bike got home I did the usual; change all the fluids, fix anything that needed fixing, threw in a K&N air filter, adjust the suspension, and ride it. That was all well-and-good, but soon I began to realize running 9 year-old Metzler Tourances on a bike with a slightly un-balanced throttle setup, and cables that hadn't been lubed... ever... was a bad idea. So, to the dealer I went.

Balance the throttle bodies: Check.
New Michelin Pilot Road (1's): Check.
TOR Map Install: Check
Plugs: Check
Missing bolts: Check
Cables adjusted and oiled: Check

When I got it home I changed the oil to Suzuki Full-Syn 10w-40, threw on a K&N oil-filter and she was ready to ride.

Taking the first 100 miles on the new tires felt good. I got used to the new pitch and roll of the Michelins and had a newly found appreciation for new rubber. Once they were broken in and I had taken care to scrub them out to the side-wall in some parking-lot maneuvers.. I opened her up.

OH... MY... GOD... For having the stock exhaust, and only a K&N as an after-market 'performance' piece... this bike SCREAMS down the road.

It could have been a combination of the lack of proper tuning, the carbs being out of sync or any other little thing... but, wow. This thing woke UP.

I find that I can cruise around at 3500rpm no problem, and if it dips down into the 1500 range there is no sputtering or lag when I thromp on the throttle. Actually, 3500 rpm is about perfect in every-single gear, shifting at 4500 rpm is smooth, anything lower is a little clunky, but that's normal.

It feels like my peak power has moved from about 8000 rpm down to about 5500rpm which is INSANE... 3rd through 6th gear, cruising around 4000rpm I can steadily and swiftly roll the throttle back to lock and have the motor keep up with the throttle input, in every single gear; which, was nearly impossible from 4th through 6th before.

Other than that it just sounds meaner. There is a definite difference in the way the bike feels at different rpm. Slightly more vibration from 2000 to 3000 rpm, but that's it.

Really dropping the hammer is ARM JERKING from a stop and the front wheel wants to dance off the ground in 1st, and 2nd gear. I used to be able to ride small wheelies in 1st gear only... now, I can actually clutch-up in 2nd gear. Not that it's an every-day event... I just wanted to see if I could do it.

I feel like I'm riding a sport-tourer now, not a touring-adventure bike. Between the AMAZING grip of the Pilot Roads, the newly found oomph in the engine tune, and summer on it's way. I think we may roll over 20,000 miles this year.

We'll see. It's got 6100 on her OD now... what's another 13,900? :)

On a side-note I HIGHLY recommend this to EVERYONE with a Girly!!! Get that Map installed, put some street-oriented tires on it and go have a blast. I use mine for daily commuting, so it sees a LOT of high-way.

OH, and I almost forgot the best part:

I was lucky to get 40mpg out of this bike before it went to the shop. So far, with it's 1st full-tank and me driving like a hooligan... 230 miles to the fuel light... 5 gallons... 46mpg...

Meaning... if I drive like less of an idiot... I'd probably get around 50mpg.

Freakin' amazing.

oxnsox

If only it was Silver, it would be purrfect.... :D  :D
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ourade

I bought an 02 Girly in May 08, and it had only done 750 miles from new.
The first few rides on old tyres were interesting to say the least , on more than one occasion the back tried to overtake the front with only gentle braking. The bike now has 12000 miles on the clock, i changed the tourances at 5000 miles and now run distanziias. The only problem i have had is the rad had to be flushed out and fresh fluid/antifreeze put in.
I have the original sales reciept and those 750 miles cost the previous owner £4000.
Cheers Ade.