News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

YAPI - noobie

Started by BruKen, March 23, 2010, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff D

Quote from: "BruKen"

Not trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs here but how hot have you got this bolt Bruce?

If it was me I would put a wet rag on the casing near the bolt to keep it cool, heat the bolt up as fast as possible, cherry red with a welding torch, let it cool down & heat it again, cool it off fast with water then use a impact driver on it.
The older I get the faster I was...

BruKen

Don't get me wrong guys, I am not being deliberately obstinate here and I do appreciate all tips and advice given. I need to be taught here. If I had known how to do it, it would be out. I am just cautious.... Read scared of f.....ing it up. I am an enthusiastic amatuer Fred in his Shed type fella. F....ing things up is what I am best at. Throwing buckets of money to rectify my mistakes afterwards is my second best talent.

Geoff. I will give your trick a go sans the wet rag. Ever see what happens to a TIG torch when it hits water. No I haven't either. The explosion knocked me over. Lesson learnt.

Geoff D

Ah, thought you were using oxy acetylene..... :lol:

BruKen

Ah no. Oxy + MAP is the best I have on tap and it isn't industrial enough for that kind of sustained heat output. Use it for silver soldering and other light work repairing petrol tanks and the like.

BruKen

Hi Geoff

Thought you might like to see some pics of the bike

Mustang

Bruce
are you a member on maximum bikes ?
That yamaha looks familiar ...................... :wink:

nightrunner

I agree with Mustang on drilling the head off the bolt.  Then you will have direct access to the threads to allow penetrating oil to soak in.   The way it is now you cant be sure the oil is even getting past the bolt head.  Kroil is highly regarded, as is PB Blaster, and Liquid Wrench.  

Welcome.  Excellent report and pics BTW
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"Bruce

Maximumbikes is a whole different galaxy in this universe. Ja hey, there I am cast under a completely different role as the forum's village idiot and ne'er do well, but then I know most of the guys personally too. It's a small site. None of that here, this is serious business. But yes, that is indeed The Green Queen, there is only one.

BruKen

Quote from: "nightrunner"I agree with Mustang on drilling the head off the bolt.  Then you will have direct access to the threads to allow penetrating oil to soak in.   The way it is now you cant be sure the oil is even getting past the bolt head.  Kroil is highly regarded, as is PB Blaster, and Liquid Wrench.  

Welcome.  Excellent report and pics BTW

OK, I will bite the bullet. I didn't want to use up last resort type methods until all else had failed.

Mustang

Quote from: "Mustang"Bruce

Maximumbikes is a whole different galaxy in this universe. Ja hey, there I am cast under a completely different role as the forum's village idiot and ne'er do well, but then I know most of the guys personally too. It's a small site. None of that here, this is serious business. But yes, that is indeed The Green Queen, there is only one.

Aha ..............I thought so  I'd recognize the Green Queen anywhere !

BruKen

Whooooo hoooooo! Thank you Geoff

BruKen

doG hates me :(

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh FUDGE!!! (Well close as damnit)

Geoff D

This is what it will look like, no more green  8) (not that there's owt wrong with green  :roll: )

Geoff D

Quote from: "BruKen"Whooooo hoooooo! Thank you Geoff

No probs, you're welcome, keep at it, you'll get there...

BruKen

Back to blue eh? Well the poor Green Queen, from royalty back to the rank and file :)
Nevermind, you may as well start researching 2 dastardly issues. Paint colour code and decals. Where to get the original decals while avoiding exhorbitant dealer shelf prices I can help you with, but colour code for blue, you are on your own, plenty have scoured the internet and not found the answer. Me included. Everything else I have, including somewhat worse for wear yellow fork gators