News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger's suffering from rusty spine syndrome

Started by MtheTiger, March 28, 2010, 06:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtheTiger

My Tigger's spine has gone rusty on me underneath the tank.
Luckily the welds aren't yet affected.
My thoughts would be removing all the rust and sanding the spine down to bare metal, then put on some rust preventor and coat with paint.
Any other suggestions ?
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

Quote from: "MtheTiger"My Tigger's spine has gone rusty on me underneath the tank.
Luckily the welds aren't yet affected.
My thoughts would be removing all the rust and sanding the spine down to bare metal, then put on some rust preventor and coat with paint.
Any other suggestions ?

if you have access to a sand/ bead blaster that would be the best way to remove the rust and then apply rust preventative paint

if you have access to a sand/ bead blaster that would be the best way to remove the rust and then apply rust preventative paint

MtheTiger

No I don't have access to such units.
I will check around how much a blast would cost.
Thanx for the advice.
btw, how did you manage to get your anwser in my post....must be admin privileges I guess?

97 Caspian blue

coachgeo

Quote from: "MtheTiger"No I don't have access to such units.
I will check around how much a blast would cost.
Thanx for the advice.
btw, how did you manage to get your anwser in my post....must be admin privileges I guess?
as a mod elsewhere.. have made that mistake on many occasions.  It happens when the Mod hits "edit" in stead of "quote".  He'll go back and fix it.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

Quote from: "MtheTiger"btw, how did you manage to get your anwser in my post....must be admin privileges I guess?

DOH ! :oops:  :oops:

nightrunner

You could scrape most of that out with something like a putty knife.  I would then use some navel jelly or other rust neutralizer.   Probably repeated applications.  When dry and ready to paint, use paint thinner or brake clean to wash the surface.  Then I would apply one of the specialty primers specifically for rusted surfaces.   McMaster Carr sells one in pint size cans.  Then you can spray your black top coat.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

nightrunner

PS.  If there is no way for water to run out of those valleys, then might drill some drain holes so water does not puddle there.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

BruKen

You can buy a cheap spot blaster from Aldi's at the moment. Less than £20 that will do the trick. Although to be honest I'd be more inclined to use a chemical rust converter with inhibitor (not a rust remover) and then coat liberally in a good enamel paint as this imo tends to be a more durable repair.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "BruKen"Although to be honest I'd be more inclined to use a chemical rust converter with inhibitor (not a rust remover) and then coat liberally in a good enamel paint as this imo tends to be a more durable repair.

I agree, my experience recycling Land Rover bits and fair sized ship hulls bear out that you can blast away till your hearts content and coat the surface perfectly sealed and it will still rust back through unless it's been passivated in some way first.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

MtheTiger

Sounds like scraping the rust off with a sharp object and then covering it with liberal amounts of chemically active rust buster (like Fertan, HG or ML ?) and after this treatment sealing the surface with a topcoat will do the trick.
Topcoat has to be some epoxy thingy?

97 Caspian blue

Sin_Tiger

After the convertor has done it's work, brush of loose stuff then apply primer before a sealer coat, primer alone will not seal the surface, the convertor instructions normally tell you what kind of primer is best.

No idea what the original frame paint system was, if it wasn't epoxy then that might react with the original paint.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint