News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brake Pads

Started by Nick Calne, March 25, 2010, 09:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Failed the M.O.T. today on front brake pads. :evil:  Was going to get standard Triumph ones as replacements....but wondered if any of the aftermarket ones were better.  Any thoughts, oh wise ones?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

lizardman

Hi.
    Just bought Kyoto fronts of this outfit
http://www.wemoto.com/ , don't know how long they wil last or how good they are (bike still on axel stands) cost £ 9.19 each side.
1998 steamer

1998 zx7r

Bixxer Bob

I just fitted EBC HHs to go with the new EBC discs but too soon to know yet, I've barely bedded them in.

I've run EBC HHs on the Blackbird for years with no probs stopping-wise, but like Chris C, I think they were responsible for some disc pitting after putting it away wet and salty once.

I've used Ferodo on my old Trident and they were ok.  One make I'd stay away from is "Gold".  You see a lot of them on Ebay.  Had one set on the Tigger and they were rubbish - squealing, poor stopping power and high wear rate.  Maybe I was just unlucky but you speak as you find.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Thanks guys.

I bought some Nissin ones from Fowlers in the end.  Exactly the same as Triumph ones apparently but cheaper by £4 a set.

Would have fitted them by now but I can't get the brake pistons to retract.  Any thoughts on this?

Perhaps the fact they are not retracting is the reason why the I needed knew pads...Hmmm....

Bixxer Bob

For what it's worth Nick,  I used to try to service calipers on the bike because I didn't want the faff of bleeding them afterwards, but since I bought a decent bleeding tool life is much easier.  And with the calipers on the bench you can do a proper job on them.

Wurth brake cleaner is good stuff too!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Thanks Bob.  I've got a bleeding tool and for the most part it stops me being a bleeding tool!

Today and yesterdays struggle is getting the pistons out of the calipers.  I just can't do it.  Unless someone's got a great idea it's off to the bike shop to have the embarrassing conversation that goes like this...

Um, I've got a problem with my brake calipers... (Read: I don't have the strength / wit / knowledge / ability to pull the pistons out)

Bloke from the shop takes 'em, says, "your pistons are stuck" and then pulls them out.... (Read: That'll be £35 plus idiot tax)

:roll:

BruKen

Don't pull the pistons out unless you are going to service the liner too as the O ring will go. But if you do have your heart set on getting them out don't pull, pump them out under it's own hydraulic pressure.

Nick Calne

Have a new set of seals so ready to go the full hog...  Gotta pull the pistons as they don't retract, move, anything unless forced!

I've come up with an ingenious idea.  Gonna remove the rear caliper, then attach each front caliper in turn and pump out the pistons in each caliper individually.

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.... I am beginning to hate the smell of brake fluid...  :lol:

rf9rider

Sometimes a shot of air from a compressor will shift them.  :D

NeilD

just done the front ones on the Thunderbid Sport... I left one caliper on the bike assembled, then t'other side i left one old pad in and carefully pumped the pistons out without them comming all the way (involved a bit of juggling as one piston always seems ahead of the other).. then did the same on other side so eventually you have four pistons teetering on the edge, ready to come out..  :D   if you arent planning to replace the pistons, and they wont come out with a bit of wiggling, then I found a footpump with an airbed adaptor did the trick, although be careful as it comes out at a fair rate of knots...
Its also been suggested that a suitable sized rawlbolt can be used as a puller, but not tried it myself..
once apart, I used hot water, swarfega, a dental pick and toothbrush to clean up the grooves which the seals sit in -  these seem to be the main culprit for problems as corrosion behind the seals pushes them out and make the pistons stick..

NeilD

Quote from: "nickcalne".... I am beginning to hate the smell of brake fluid...  :lol:

tell me about it - last coupel months I've done both bikes - 6 calipers, plus the front master cylinder on the TBS  :shock:

Nick Calne

Top Stuff.  Thanks Neil.  I'll report on progress later as I have a monster hangover and can't face the prospect yet.  Probably accidentally drank the spare brake fluid last night.  :shock:  :new_all_coholic

Nick Calne

Sorted. Thank god for that.  Twas a foul job. Riding time! :5moped

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "nickcalne"Probably accidentally drank the spare brake fluid last night.  :shock:  :new_all_coholic

A little tonic and lemon makes it palatable  :wink:

I've done so many calipers on Range Rovers I can do it with my eyes closed, which stops the brake fluid going in my eyes too  :lol: Looked but never seen anybody doing stainless pistons for bikes, guess there is just not the same demand.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"
Quote from: "nickcalne"Probably accidentally drank the spare brake fluid last night.  :shock:  :new_all_coholic

A little tonic and lemon makes it palatable  :wink:

I've done so many calipers on Range Rovers I can do it with my eyes closed, which stops the brake fluid going in my eyes too  :lol: Looked but never seen anybody doing stainless pistons for bikes, guess there is just not the same demand.

The later R1 and R6 Goldspot calipers have lightened and coated pistons, i found this out when i modified my YZF750 to fit them.
Can`t recall the size but i know a man who would know.  :)