News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Best Tire changing kit

Started by tett, March 26, 2010, 01:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tett

Want to get a tire changing kit.  Does anyone have a favourite?

Want a bead breaker and good irons with rim protectors (2006 Girly with cast rims)

Many Thanks!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

I bought the BeadBrakR from the US with the titanium tyre lever option  :oops: couldn't resist the dark side.

It's a tough piece of kit, well thought out and made, only tried it on the bench so far, not in the field but it works well and packs flat.

The T irons are soooo light, tried bending them in a vice with a hammer, nearly got a facefull of hammer as it rebounded  :shock: they are tough, have I justified them to myself yet  :roll:  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tett

Holy Sh*t!  $245 for a tyre changing kit!  

But you do get titanium levers.

Thanks for the heads up.  I think I will buy the levers and plastic punch bead breaker and rim protectors from Aerostich first for less than ~$100.  Try these first and order the kit sans levers later if the bead breaking gets to be too difficult.

Thanks!

tett

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"I bought the BeadBrakR from the US with the titanium tyre lever option  :oops: couldn't resist the dark side.

It's a tough piece of kit, well thought out and made, only tried it on the bench so far, not in the field but it works well and packs flat.

The T irons are soooo light, tried bending them in a vice with a hammer, nearly got a facefull of hammer as it rebounded  :shock: they are tough, have I justified them to myself yet  :roll:  :wink:
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Mustang

on a bike with tubeless tires usually a simple plug kit and some way to put air back in is sufficent .

For the home shop changing tires is not bad with this from Harbor Freight

you need the base unit for 60 bucks and the motorcycle tire adapter for 60 bucks .

and a good set of tire irons .  The longer they are the better.these Motion Pro spoons are not bad

And these units work pretty well also , you still need somethng to break the bead though  , they can be had for around $150

http://www.dirtwerkz.com/Pages/tools/mrpstands.html

chairhead

I use one of these for home use
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5250 ... ad-Breaker
cheap,work very well and very durable,simply wind it down until the bead breaks,levers in and pop off the tyre,i always carry levers and rim protectors but as yet have had no reason to use them,once in France i had a puncture on the Bandit and got relayed to the place i was staying,got the back wheel out,found a crow bar and washing up liquid and got the car tyre off with a lot of sweat and swearing :lol:thank god i had a bottle jack.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

tett

Thanks for all the input!

Still want to get titanium tire irons.  because they are titanium and that is cool.  Probably could do with a much cheaper set but at a loss of the cool factor.  

Hi, want to see my TITANIUM tire irons?  vs Hi, want to see my tire irons.  Now which is best to succeed wit the ladies?  Probably neither but with other gear heads the TITANIUM ones have them beat by a mile!

I hope I never need to use them on the road and always keep a patch kit and pump.

Cheers!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "tett".... always keep a patch kit and pump....tett

If I'm touring, I pack a 12v compressor - smaller than most manual pumps and way less work.  Works on my air matress too!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

pizzaman383

I like gadgets as much as the next guy but I have the low-tech tire changing approach.  I read a thread on www.advrider.com started by Neduro that covers tire changing on the trail.  I use three tire irons (whatever ones my local shop had that I thought looked best).  

I needed to change a tube in my rear tire one week after I got my bike home.  I then needed to change the tube at the Cherohala Cycle Resort the first long weekend ride I took with my bike.  I used the Neduro method and it went quite smoothly.  I've now changed my rear three times and my front once.

For breaking the bead, I used the leg of a picnic table at the Cherohala campground and a 10" C clamp at home.  Neither worked very well but they both got the job done.  When I take long rides, I take the C clamp and tire irons with me.  I made some wood feet to help the clamp stay on the bead; they help a little but aren't required.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "tett"Hi, want to see my TITANIUM tire irons?  vs Hi, want to see my tire irons.  Now which is best to succeed wit the ladies?  

Doesn't work with the wife  :lol: "Yes dear, can you use those to fix the lights in the bathroom"  :?

QuoteI use one of these for home use
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5250 ... ad-Breaker

That's a nice compact little tool and quite reasonable as you say. I am planning to invest in one of these hydraulic presses for a few jobs and the thought occured to me that it wouldn't take too much imagination to make up an adaptor set to use it as a garage bead breaker.

Not meaning to hijack your thread Tett  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Medic09

Quote from: "pizzaman383"I like gadgets as much as the next guy but I have the low-tech tire changing approach.  I read a thread on www.advrider.com started by Neduro that covers tire changing on the trail.  I use three tire irons (whatever ones my local shop had that I thought looked best).  

I needed to change a tube in my rear tire one week after I got my bike home.  I then needed to change the tube at the Cherohala Cycle Resort the first long weekend ride I took with my bike.  I used the Neduro method and it went quite smoothly.  I've now changed my rear three times and my front once.

For breaking the bead, I used the leg of a picnic table at the Cherohala campground and a 10" C clamp at home.  Neither worked very well but they both got the job done.  When I take long rides, I take the C clamp and tire irons with me.  I made some wood feet to help the clamp stay on the bead; they help a little but aren't required.

Care to post a link to that thread by Neduro?  I fairly quick search didn't allow me to find it; and I haven't the stamina to sift through all his posts.  :(
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

pizzaman383

Quote from: "Medic09"Care to post a link to that thread by Neduro?  I fairly quick search didn't allow me to find it; and I haven't the stamina to sift through all his posts.  :(

Here you go ;-)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717&highlight=neduro+tire+change
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

Medic09

Quote from: "pizzaman383"
Quote from: "Medic09"Care to post a link to that thread by Neduro?  I fairly quick search didn't allow me to find it; and I haven't the stamina to sift through all his posts.  :(

Here you go ;-)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717&highlight=neduro+tire+change

Thanks!  :D
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four