News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mirror mirror

Started by Sin_Tiger, June 08, 2009, 05:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

The kiddon carbon, distorted surface, blurry above 20 mph, one black stem one rusty chrome, mirrors fitted when I got the bike would look cheap on a push bike apart from being pratically useless and have to go.

The mirrors fitted on my Vara are nice big f-off round things that work, the slightly smaller shaped ones on my 1050 do the job quite well too but some guys are recommending the Tuono ones for wider view and cleaner air.

About to place an order for a few items and the supplier has original pattern steamer mirrors with slightly extended arms for 20 quid a pop which seems reasonable.

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/70231/info.php?p=2&pno=0&pid=687854&cat=92707&ack=9&search=&sought=

Opinions and experience sought, not much by way of the search.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Sprint Manufacturing are based about 20 mins from me and having dealt with the guy there a few times / been round to pick stuff up, I think he is a top Triumph man.

He works out of a little shed / garage thingy which is full of triumphs (Mostly mid 90's unfashionable ones!) in various states of disassembly.  I felt right at home as this is a bit like my house really.

He certainly knows his Triumphs having helped me with both my daytona and steamer - I suspect that anything he sells is probably worth it.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

"Unfashionable, Piles of Bits"

Sounds like my kind of place, his website is pretty no nonsense too, thanks for the feedback Nick.

I was more looking for impressions of other steamer riders on how they found the stock mirror heads for view, stability, clarity, the fact that he only offers those with the extended arms should tell me something :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

I can see just fine around mine.  And I spend a lot of my scan time looking for what's behind me trying to kill me.
From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

Ah! The standard tiger mirror's themselves are fine in my opinion.  Probably the best I've had on any bike.  But given how crap some of the other have been, this isn't as good an endorsement as it sounds!  You have to practically lie down on the tank to see behind you on a daytona!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

QuoteI spend a lot of my scan time looking for what's behind me trying to kill me.

Good, I was begining to think it was just me that was paranoid  :shock:

Thanks guys, could I ask a further favour, what diameter are they?

JetdocX

The shiny portion is an RCH over 4 inches in diameter.
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"The shiny portion is an RCH over 4 inches in diameter.

Good bit bigger than the vanity mirrors now fitted and just a tad under the Honda mirrors, that'll do me  :XXsunsmile

Thanks JD   :icon_salut

rf9rider

Old thread i know, but did you ever buy these mirrors Sin?

Seems we share the same problem, my mirrors give me a lovely view of my elbows and not a lot else, and they do vibrate a little, making my elbows look blurry......... :lol:

abruzzi

One way to widen the mirrors without widening the mirrors is to replace the handlebars with a wider set. This also has the advantage of giving you a wider grip on the bike. There is also something I don't like about the bend of the stock bars.  I put on a set of Renthal 7/8 bars that are two inches wider than stock, and there is no sign of my shoulders in the mirrors.

The draw back is that wider pulls you closer to the bars (think pythagoras' theorem with the bars as the hypotenuse.) so get a little taller than you need.

Sin_Tiger

Yes I did, pretty happy with the quality at the price and worked well in the limited riding I did before she went into the workshop, still there  :roll: so I would recommend them as a replacement for stock / damaged or crap aftermarket ones fitted by a stylo mylo. Mirror infohalf way down the page here.

+1 on Abruzzi's comments, I changed my stock Varadero bars for Africa Twin bars with 50mm risers to achieve exactly what he says, added advantage was that the AT bars have a cross brace.

I can't comment on the stock Steamer bars as mine came with "Hot Bars" and I'll reserve comment on those till I do a bit more riding with them.

rf9rider

Thanks Sin, although i do have a set of Renthals on mine, don`t know if they are a different size/width as it came with them on.