News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

any tips on cleaning up the header pipes?

Started by BruKen, April 06, 2010, 09:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

I was pleasantly surprised to discover the header pipes on the tigger are staineless steel. You wouldn't believe it looking at mine as they have a nice healthy coat of rust on them. Took a drill mounted wire brush to a segment and it turns out the rust is just a thick coat of flashing and underneath it was just lovely. Chuffed to bits I am. First bit of good news about this tigger I have had. Unfortuntely a drill mounted wirebrush isn't the best plan even if I could reach most areas, which I can't. Is there a good chemical solution available?

NeilD

i 'think' they're 'black chrome' over the stainless.. not sure about that process but wonder if the process can  be reversed like shiney chrome?     :?

JetdocX

Are you a closet Harley owner? :lol:

A trip to your local ceramic coatings guy and a couple hundy might get you what you're after.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Are you a closet Harley owner? :lol:

A trip to your local ceramic coatings guy and a couple hundy might get you what you're after.
:shock:  :ImaPoser

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"Are you a closet Harley owner? :lol:

Must have left my assless chaps on the drying line for too long  :wink:

I got a spare set of headers that I'm planning to do just that. I have already smoothed out the internal welds at the head spigots, couldn't believe there was so much excess material in there, can't do any harm for the gas flow. The external welds are good but jsut a bit ugly with some spatter so those are gettigna smooting as well. Then off to the Ceramic coaters, I intended to go for a smooth gunmetal type finish rather than the original black for purely practiacality of keeping it clean.

Just hope it doesn't turn out looking like a SteamerBob  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BruKen

:)

Ok wise guys. Just tell me how to get the flashing off. I am not after shiny chrome, but if the pipes can be cleaned that would be nice. Sod paying chunks of money for it though. I sooner just take some emery paper to it. I am just after avoiding anything abrasive if possible.

JetdocX

Pull the exhaust.  It's easy.  I wipe mine down with WD-40 or ACF-50 whenever I have them off, and that usually lasts until the first mud puddle.  After that I engage my highly trained ninja-rider brain not to "see" the dirty pipes.  It's really just mind over matter.
From parts unknown.

BruKen

Mmmm. If I was big on mind over matter I'd have left the old girl the way I found her and said "Rust? Corrosion? What rust and corrosion? She's in  showroom condition" before pointing to the sky and shouting, "look, a flying pig, oh no, it's a GS"

JetdocX

Quote from: "BruKen"Mmmm. If I was big on mind over matter I'd have left the old girl the way I found her and said "Rust? Corrosion? What rust and corrosion? She's in  showroom condition" before pointing to the sky and shouting, "look, a flying pig, oh no, it's a GS"

If you remove the stock coating, it will corrode.  I think Confucious said that first.
From parts unknown.

BruKen

"Too late she cried" as sang by Miss Etta Campbell and TE Perkins