News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stepper motor replaced

Started by Timbox2, May 25, 2010, 04:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Some of you may have read my post re doing the Shims and TB balance where my stepper motor came to bits when I removed it to do the balance.

I got it back together and at first I thought everything was OK but since then whenever starting her from cold my idle was silly low and until she was really really hot would cut out if I touched the throttle.

I also noticed I could hear the stepper motor making weird clicking noises when I turned off, so today I bit bullet and went a bought a new motor, £73-00,.

All sorted.

Going by the new motor, Im not sure whether its meant to come apart or not, doesnt look as though it should, or maybe I just didnt get it back together properly, anyway, start to finish in an hour, getting really good at stripping the old girl now. :)
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

Good deal.  yeah mine came apart too, but luckily I saw it do it and could reassembly it.

Tearing the old girl down becomes pretty easy don't it?  Gets to the point where you consider checking the valves a "before I go to bed" task.   :lol:
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

jphish

Stepper motor ?? Geez - Thought I had a 955cc triple !?  New to Tigers & still learning. Does my 06 have one and what does it do ?  Inquiring minds...

Bixxer Bob

Stepper motor is inside the IACV (idle air control valve) and opens and closes the air bleed for tickover on instruction from the ECU.  It has a port that is opened or closed by the motor which leads to each throttle body via a flexible pipe.  Next time you have your tank and airbox off, look  at the left side of the bike.  It's the odd looking bit with three hoses coming off it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jphish

Hey - thanks Bob. Now I'll know what to look for. j

Advwannabe

Hmmm mine is doing the funny idle thing and makes graunching noises when I switch on or off.

Is stripping and cleaning the motor a reasonable option?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Bixxer Bob

Not had mine apart but I think EB has.  Don't see why you shouldn't - I live by the motto "Somebody made it so somebody should be able to fix it".  I'm always careful taking stuff apart not to use excessive force and really study to see how it went together.  That way you should be ok.

BTW, the clearance between the white plunger and the sidewall of the IACV is very very small so a bit of grit could be all that's causing your graunching noise.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

When I did my TB balance, I took it apart a bit.  The motor pulls from the sleeve without much issue.  I don't see how dousing it with Carb Cleaner would hurt anything.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD