News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lumpy running

Started by mikeybikey57, April 20, 2010, 06:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeybikey57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally got my Tigger ('05 Girly with a TOR pipe and dealer installed remap) out for a few decent runs a few weeks ago and noticed that it has now developed a problem. Once the engine has properly warmed up (after 50 + miles) it begins to run as though it's about to run out of fuel. It doesn't actually stop running and I can accellerate through it but it's still noticably lumpy

I also noticed when out for a run this morning, that the lumpiness was much more pronounced and frequent after being stood idling in traffic for a while. When the bike had been left to cool down for an hour or so, it ran as sweet as a nut the rest of the way home.

I did a thorough check on the fuel tank breather pipe earlier this afternoon and it would seem that it's clear. Whizzed a guitar string down the hole in the filler rim and it came out clean from the bottom of the tank (overflow pipe removed from its fitting). There are also no overheating issues or popping and banging, just lumpiness when fully warmed up.

I am a relative newcomer to Tiger ownership and was advised to seek guidance from the more "hands on members" of this forum.

I could of course take it to my local dealer but I would have to sell my kids to pay for them to just have a look at it. Talk about extortionate!

Many thanks in anticipation!
There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

Mustang

How many miles on it and when were the valves last checked adjusted if it has more than 18,000 miles ?

EvilBetty

Quote from: "mikeybikey57""hands on members"

Welcome mikeybikey...  prepare yourself to be blown away by hands on awesomeness :)  Hopefully they can keep their hands off their members long enough to help you out.   :lol:
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

mikeybikey57

Quote from: "Mustang"How many miles on it and when were the valves last checked adjusted if it has more than 18,000 miles ?
Hi Mustang,
                     It's done about 18,000 miles at the moment and I'm not sure when they were last done. Certainly not in the 4,000 miles i've done since I bought it. I'm planning on servicing her soon and will do all the fluids and general fettling myself. Sadly i'll have to get the local dealer to do the valves and injectors as I dont have the neccessary equipment and space to do it myself.

There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

mikeybikey57

Quote from: "EvilBetty"
Quote from: "mikeybikey57""hands on members"

Welcome mikeybikey...  prepare yourself to be blown away by hands on awesomeness :)  Hopefully they can keep their hands off their members long enough to help you out.   :lol:

Hi EvilBetty.....thanks for the tip about this site. The depth of knowlege about our bikes here seems awesome. Looking forward to learning how to look after my Tigger properly.

EvilBetty

No problem.  If just now hitting 18k it would be unlikely that your valves are out bad enough to be causing you issues.  The timing of it still sounds heat related, but with the symptoms you have listed I'm at a loss.

2004Tiger

Quote from: "mikeybikey57"Finally got my Tigger ('05 Girly with a TOR pipe and dealer installed remap) out for a few decent runs a few weeks ago and...
Do you live in a cold climate? Gas in tank during the winter? Using stale gas now? Gas gunk, varnish, clogging everything? Water (condensate) in gas from winter storage?
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

mikeybikey57

There have been three full tanks of fuel used since getting her back on the road in the spring. She was laid up over the winter and we did have a really cold and long one here in the UK but I used a fuel stabilizer before laying her up to stop any gumming of the injectors etc. I also started her up every week and let her run until the fan cut in, mainly to keep the battery healthy.
  However, when I first bought the bike I noticed that when I washed it, or i'd been out in the rain, there would be a puddle of water on the inside rim of the fuel tank.
  This was tracked down to a blocked vent/overflow pipe and any water now drains away after both pipes were cleaned out (there was a big plug of goo in one of them). Both are now as clean as a whistle but as it may have been going on for some time before I fixed it, water could well have gotten into the tank.
Could water contamination in the fuel filter/pump/tank cause this kind of lumpiness?

tiger77

My 2002 Tiger ran awfully when I first picked it up a couple of months ago. It had been serviced 1000 miles previously, and had only 11.5k or so miles on it.

The bike would sit at the lights and I could hear the revs rise, then fall a lot (almost to a stall), then rise again.

I changed to iridium plugs (normal would be just as good I imagine), checked the valves (all fine), and cleaned up the air filter etc.
The throttle balancing made the biggest difference, with noticeably better running.

I then took the bike out for a long blast up to Oxford and back (ignoring the engine warning light, which resets after three decent engine cycles), and filled her up with super unleaded.

Bike runs like a dream now, on either type of fuel.

mikeybikey57

Took the tigger out for a blat yesterday and it finally gave up on me on the way back from Stafford.

She started to run lumpily again after an enthusiastic hoon down a dual carriageway and then proceeded to run like an amphetamine soaked kangaroo most of the way home.

This was only punctuated by it stopping completely and having to wait until it had cooled down sufficiently to run again. The engine management light also came on and will not switch off.

Sadly I have no option but to bite the bullet as it's into the local Triumph dealer on Tuesday.

Anyone want to buy a soul...well used, slightly shop soiled but filled with good intent ?

Bixxer Bob

Don't forget to come back to us with the diagnosis.... :new_popcornsmiley
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

mikeybikey57

Just picked my Tigger up from the local Triumph dealer and it's running better than ever.

The tech guys reported that the throttle position sensor had failed which is a common problem by all accounts. So much so that they always keep a few in stock too.

My wallet is now £130 lighter but they fixed it in a day and my bikes now running as sweet as a nut again. :D

EvilBetty

Glad you got it sorted.

That was one of my early guesses over on T-RAT, but the TPS doesn't die the same way every time.  Some times it's just jittery from key on, to key off.  Some times it becomes unstable when hot.  Sometimes it completely dies and the bike will start fine but fall on hit's face when you hit the accelerator.

BB above has a cool trick for diagnosing the TPS but I haven't attempted it yet :)

I'd really like to check mine out without spending $130.

Bixxer Bob

In the UK a sensor is £35 including the throttle body gasket (which you WILL need).  It's about 90 minutes work I reckon, if you go at it.  

The TBs have to come off to get at it, so have a read of my post on the subject and treat yourself to some stainless allen screws to replace the chocolate Triumph torx screws that hold the TBs in place.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...