News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gauge or sending unit?

Started by kpmunt, April 22, 2010, 06:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpmunt

Put new chain and sprockets on a week ago 19/43? combo.  Watching the gas gauge I'm thinking WOW this new set up delivers great gas mileage!  Turns out the gauge stopped functioning properly.  I ran out of gas with gauge reading about 1/4 tank.  The idiot light didn't come on either.

So, my assumption is this is a sending unit failure.  Any thoughts?

tazshido

Depends on if the dummy light is dependant on the sending unit or the guage. I know the gurus will chime in here presently. In my automotive experience the dummy lights are dependant on the guage, that way the manufacturer doesn't have to run double wiring from the tank to the dash. In cars when the guage goes, so does the dummy light. Of course, that means that when the sending unit dies you have the same symptoms.

So the short answer is,,,,,,,Somebody out there knows, just not me.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

EvilBetty

Both are dependent on the sending unit.

The float swells or sticks in the sending unit tube and issues a false reading.

Some rebuild the old unit with new float.  New Sending unit is about $100.  Sometimes they show up on eBay for cheap.  Got mine from a 2006 Sprint for about $20 shipped.  Worked great ever since.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

kpmunt

Are the sending units interchangeable between models of that vintage?

EvilBetty

Usually...

Normally what I do is go out to bike bandit and search for the part to find Bike Bandit's part number.

Then i look on eBay for Triumph sending units.  Then go back to Bike Bandit to see if that bike's sending unit has the same Bike Bandit part number.

Get one from a 2006 or newer to insure you get one with the new float design.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=triump ... t=0&bkBtn=
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Timbox2

you could try doing what I did, take the sender unit out and unclip the end and have a look, on mine the float had twisted and jammed on the PCB, I got it out and realigned the float, been fine since.

As an aside, the sender unit can go back in one of 4 positions, I put mine back so the PCB was thin edge facing up if you see what I mean, rather than the flat surface facing up, I reckoned that the PCB( and the float) would be less affected by up and down motion in that plane.
2016 Tiger Sport

iansoady

Quote from: "Timbox2"you could try doing what I did, take the sender unit out and unclip the end and have a look, on mine the float had twisted and jammed on the PCB, I got it out and realigned the float, been fine since.

I did that with mine and it worked for a few hundred miles then failed again. The ones with problems have a white foam textured float - the floats that work are grey and have a smooth surface.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

kpmunt

So I see that recommendation is to get a 06 or newer sending unit.  This does carry a different part number from my 01.  Do you think this will be an issue?

kpmunt

So I see that recommendation is to get a 06 or newer sending unit.  This does carry a different part number from my 01.  Do you think this will be an issue?