News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Finally home. Approx 1500 miles, 4 days and very few pics.

Started by tazshido, April 22, 2010, 03:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazshido

Got tigger home and the ride was fantastic. It could have been better but I was hurried by the weather. I'm not going to have much of a ride report because I had to stick to the superslabs to make time to beat the nasty (possibly snowy) weather.

My new aquisition, a 2006 silver Tiger runs like it's new. I have some observations as a new Triumph Tiger owner. The steering is rather heavy, but only when compared to a bike like an R6 or CBR. It IS rather top heavy, but only at a standstill, once I get this bike to even 5 MPH it is very tractable with no surprises. The seat is fantastic! I must have a "tiger bum" because I wouldn't change that seat at all. With the addition of my sheepskin (an old UH60 Blackhawk seat cover) it is Iron Butt ready. The torque curve is so linear that I continually forgot what gear I was in. The bike absolutely does not need a six gear transmission, but I'm glad it has one. I HATE the Avon distanzias that came on the bike. Even though I checked pressure twice daily, the front started getting this "ramped" wear. Each tread lug is worn almost 1/4" deeper at the front of the lug than at the rear. This makes the ride extremely rough on the highway. I will be replacing the tires with Avon's Storm 2 ultra on the rear and an Azaro up front. The suspension is a love/hate thing. I love how it soaks up the bumps but don't like the wallow hitting any kind of pavement anomaly while deep in a turn. I'll get used to it but after my CBR, it feels squishy. At least it will out turn a Harley (easily).

All in all I am extatic about my new bike. It fits me (I'm Stretch's size) and it handles all the chores I ask of it with very few complaints. Too bad they changed the Tiger in 07. I can't see that they will sell more of those per year than the girlies.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

aesdj

All the points you have made are exactly what I think about mine. Only own'd it a year and had a ZZR1200 before that so its quite different to what I'm use to. About your front tyre "ramped" wear pattern, my Anakee has done the same but I can not get my head around how this could happen. Does'nt seem to affect the handling althought in the first year of owning it I only did 1000 miles because the wife was ill and I bought the bike with the tyre already on so I don't know what it would ride like without this ramped effect. I wonderd if it was made that way but without comparing it I'm pissing in the wind abit with that one.

tazshido

I'm going to try those dedicated road tires with dynabeads for at least this season. I just don't see me going on any fire road outings this first year. I plan on doing a lot of rallys, poker runs and maybe an Iron butt, so street tires will be the best bet for me.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis