News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front brake seizure

Started by 97tiger885, May 03, 2010, 11:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I installed new pads on the front a few weeks back and now the pistons are not retracting.  The front wheel is locked.  I need to get this mc on my truck to haul it to the shop.  How do I get the pistons to retract?

The advice I got was to open the bleeders to see if I get a spray of liquid.  That would indicate a line has collapsed and needs to be replaced.   No spray probably means the calipers need to be rebuilt due to seal failure.  I haven't done any bleeding yet.  If it is a failed line, will opening the bleeders release the pistons?   If I can't get the pistons to retract by bleeding the lines, can I *safely* drive the calipers off the disks by hitting them with a wooden block and a BFH or will this damage the disks?  

I have noticed that temperature makes a difference.  In cooler weather, I can spin the wheel with effort.  In very hot weather, the wheel is not moving.

Mustang

these calipers are truly the simplest things ......open the bleeders and then with a screw driver or something similar push the pads open then you can unbolt them from the fork legs and remove them from the bike

all that is in the calipers is two pistons and two rubber seals
you probably have goo inside them and the pistons are probably oxidized

the other thing that will make them bind is if the caliper cant float on the mounting bracket due to crud and corrosion , time for an overhaul
they really are simple .

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustangthese calipers are truly the simplest things ......open the bleeders and then with a screw driver or something similar push the pads open then you can unbolt them from the fork legs and remove them from the bike

Cool.  That I can manage. Paint/plastic eating fluids I fear.

JetdocX

Sounds like a classic case of brake reservior too full.  Fluid expands with heat and nowhere to go.  Might be worth your while to open the top and see.
From parts unknown.