News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

dies on hi-way

Started by joe nespor, May 05, 2010, 05:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe nespor

hello, new to site  i have a intermittant issue with my 95 tiger, acts like a vapor lock at speed, one cyl, drops out, then two, and then coasts to the side of the road, it's definetly not fuel related, i suspect ign. any ideas?
hotrodtriumph

Mustang

it could well be fuel related ........
when it happens try switching to reserve and see if it comes out of it . if it does when you switch to reserve ..you need to take the petcock off the tank and remove the nylon filter sock from the end of the main fuel pipe .

What happens is the mesh sock collapses and then the carbs can't suck fuel thru it fast enuff .

now if switching to reserve makes no difference you could have a plugged tank vent  keep your spare key in the gas cap and when it happens open the cap if it comes out of it the cap vent isn't working

#3 problem could be that the filter in the fuel line pipe where it attaches to the carbs between #2 and #3 carb is plugged up and not letting fuel into the carbs fast enuff to keep all three supplied .

the forth  thing it could be ( but not by your listed symptoms) is
then you have an ignition sensor pick up that is failing but when they fail the bike will die instantly just like shutting off the key or kill switch and tach will drop to zero instantly .......wait for the engine to cool , usually 15 to 20 minutes and will fire up and run until it heats up again and will die instantly .

I 'm going with petcock filter as my 95 used to do this until I removed that stupid filter

jsingraham

My 98 used to do that...it was vapor lock.  

How long do you have to wait before it will start again?  If less than a 3-4 minutes or so, I would put my money on that.  

It started on mine after I replaced the factory fuel line with a thicker one made for auto's.  Problem was the thickness of it kept too much heat in once it got hot, and wouldn't allow it to cool when it was a really hot day.  The fix for it was a clear vinyl fuel line and also a visible in line filter.  After that fix, on a really hot day, like above 95 or so and when doing a long stretch of highway riding I could still look over and see bubbles in the line where the fuel was getting hot, but rarely caused a problem after that because the thinner line allowed it to cool better.

Just my experience here, but I have seen the same thing happen on at least 3 others that were in the 95-98 year range.

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

MtheTiger

I experienced the same symptoms as you describe and it turned out to be the pickup.....after replacement all is well again.

When the bike starts again after cooling down enough (> 15 mins) and dies again a mile further you can B sure it's the pickup.
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

bjago

I too have had the same problem on my 98 Tiger. I knew it was a potential problem and with 75k miles was bound to happen some day. $80 bucks and an hour later its all better.

It feels at first like a starving fuel system, my local Triumph shop Guru (Brandt at Cascade Moto in Portland Or.) diagnosed it without ever even hearing the bike run, just with my description.  :D
05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

ramseybella

Hey Joe,

See you made it to the Tiger Triple Forum, hope you can get the Tiger together so we can go take a ride to Colorado or something.

Good luck

Pete, Santa Fe..