News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stiff Clutch? Soft clutch should it be 955i

Started by liddell, June 16, 2010, 03:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liddell

New to forum, and tried to search, still new to me.

as I have just bought a tiger 955i in the first week of riding it, i've noticed that the clutch lever is very stiff, i'm wondering if thats just the nature of these bikes or my clutch is on the way out, and with a new clutch it would be pretty soft to pull in clutch lever????

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jas Liddell
Triumph Tiger 2002 955i (Black)
www.liddell.com.au

M.T.

All things being relative, I've always found the clutch pull of my '06 to be on the light side. I know that they reworked the clutch arm on later 955 's to lighten the feel, but I'm still thinking that you might try just lubing the cable, or even just replacing the cable on spec.
Anyhow, I would guess that your trouble lies at the cable rather than at the expensive end!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

liddell

Quote from: "M.T."All things being relative, I've always found the clutch pull of my '06 to be on the light side. I know that they reworked the clutch arm on later 955 's to lighten the feel, but I'm still thinking that you might try just lubing the cable, or even just replacing the cable on spec.
Anyhow, I would guess that your trouble lies at the cable rather than at the expensive end!

Thanks for that, I think by memory it does look new, but will check it out today and keep you posted.

I do recall from other bikes I've had as its getting tighter does start providing evidence that clutch itself is getting worn out.

However hopefully not in this case.
Jas Liddell
www.liddell.com.au

KuzzinKenny

get yerself one of these................

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/motorbi ... 4525-p.asp

gets all the gunge out of yer cable !!

KK

ps if the clutch feels smooth but stiff, it could just need a clean but if it grinds a bit, the inner could be frayed !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

liddell

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"get yerself one of these................

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/motorbi ... 4525-p.asp

gets all the gunge out of yer cable !!

KK

ps if the clutch feels smooth but stiff, it could just need a clean but if it grinds a bit, the inner could be frayed !!

that looks cool, can you use on the bike, don't have to pull cable off???
Picture shows outer shell still attached whilst using it.

Yes cable is stiff but very smooth.
thanks
Jas

p.s. your avatar scares me, lol
Jas Liddell
www.liddell.com.au

Timbox2

Only thing I would add is that when I picked my Tigger up in January, I too thought the clutch a bit stiff compared to my last bike( Hydraulic Clutch).

After adjusting the cable play to be exact by the book, and adjusting the lever reach(Mines got adjustable levers) I now think its pretty good. I spend a lot of time in citys so am using the clutch a fair bit and havent noticed any cramp of late so it must be OK.

Use of cable oilers on Teflon lined cables is debatable, and you do need to disconnect one end at least to get it on.

Oh yeah, and check the inner cable is exiting nice and straight at the clutch end, like so

2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

+1 on TB2

Disconnect cable from clutch to see whether the cable is at fault.  Any doubt, replace it - or it'll fail when you least need it to. For a few dollars, it's not worth the worry. :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

liddell

thanks for all of the input, I will check the cable, make sure its straight at the clutch end, and give it a lube once I receive the oilier toy.

after awhile I tend to feel a bit sore on the fingers between the joints if using the clutch frequently in city riding. like you have carried your shopping from the shops to your car all of it on one hand.

lol

keep you posted on the outcome?
Jas Liddell
www.liddell.com.au

Mustang

Quote from: "liddell"keep you posted on the outcome?

please do !

liddell

OK so so far,

On inspection cable isn't as new looking as once I thought. cable has a slight bend at the clutch lever side, but due to cable length i think that is normal. on the clutch side itself, cable and holding bracket looks nice and straight, I don't see how I could make it any better.

So so far inconclusion I would say that the cable just needs a good oiling or replaced.

Otherwise maybe new clutch plates. (I hope not)
Keep you posted, still waiting on that nice little toy to oil the cable
Jas Liddell
www.liddell.com.au