News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tire help

Started by Bob Tosi, May 13, 2010, 06:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

98 Steamer, want to be able to go off road whenever I want, ride the street every day.

Metzer karoo 2's

Continental TKC80's

Michelin Anakee's??????

Which ones work the best for all round?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Timbox2

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"98 Steamer, want to be able to go off road whenever I want, ride the street every day

Unfortunately there isn't really a tyre that will do both very well, if you ride street every day you really need to go for the Anakee, but its off road ability is limited, think fire trails etc.

The Karoo and TKC are definately more extreme, but then your on road performance suffers, they will handle road but will wear fast and cornering grip is different to say the least, though better than you might think, the noise they make is another matter :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Bob Tosi

do they sound like a big 4wd truck with big knobs?  kind of a loud whirrring noise as they go down the road?

Mustang

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"do they sound like a big 4wd truck with big knobs?  kind of a loud whirrring noise as they go down the road?

loud whirring noise is an under statement .......
you should hear this going down the road on three knobbies ,, stealth it isn't
it's so loud the dog won't even ride in it .

and rough ride also you can literally feel every knob as it comes in contack with the black top .

you will also be changing close to three hundred dollars worth of tires every 2 to 3000 miles

the steamer aint that great off road its to heavy and the front wheel will wash out in loose sand or mud

Tourances or anakees or the like do just fine on forset roads dirt roads and gravel is more the tigers element anyway .

JetdocX

The TKC's are really good tires for dirt and pretty good on pavement.  Pavement wears them out quickly, figure two rears to every front.  If you want dirt, then put the TKC's on, or consider something else like a Kenda.  Super cheap DS tire.  My buddy runs them on his 800GS.  Hard to beat a $60 tire pricewise, but when you are on the pavement, remember it's a $60 tire.
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

wont be doing any MX'ing, just forest service roads, gravel roads to the unknown, and general exploring where there's not pavement.

Mustang

you'll do fine with Tourances or Anakees  then and will get very decent tread life out of them .

The Shinko 705's work pretty damn good too and they are coming out with a radial version this spring/summer
I have used the bias ply version on tigger 2 and they are now on the sidecar tigger to be finished off this summer .
Tigger 2 got an upgrade to 17 inch wheels from a trophy so am running dunlops D616 on it this year .

the bias ply shinkos are the best bang for the buck , when you can find them available about $120 a pair with shipping from places like motorcycle superstore and chapparral

JetdocX

Sorry, not Kenda.  Shinko.  Shinkos are dirt cheap!
From parts unknown.