News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ive gone in!! (Valve Shims)

Started by Timbox2, May 16, 2010, 08:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

So, Ive opened her up for the first time apparently, 26,000 miles and this is what Ive found

Exhausts  L to R,  .19 .22 .20 .18 .21 .19

Inlets       L to R,  .17 .15 .14 .11 .20 .17

So, no really tight ones , in fact a lot of them loose, which if any would you guys change

Ta
Tim
2016 Tiger Sport

Mustang

only the one intake that is at.11 i would leave the rest

and even the one that is at .11 is still in spec .............throw the valve cover back on and check em again in 7000 miles

Timbox2

Thanks Mustang, Im gonna have go at synching  the TB's tomorrow before I put it all back.

Her blood still looks nice and red :D

2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

all done, the TB's were a bit out, bloody stepper motor fired its internals round the garage, had a bit of fun getting it back together but got there in the end, MIL light on afterwards but plugged the dealer tool in and it reported what I expected and I cleared them all, light out after and hasnt come back so looks like I connected everything back that I should have.

Not too bad a job really, nice ride tomorrow, we'll see. :D
2016 Tiger Sport

DKWrider

Bike Bandit shows three different bags of shims that you can buy for the 2000 Tiger.  Any idea what bag is required BEFORE opening the engine up?
2000 Lightning Yellow Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "DKWrider"Bike Bandit shows three different bags of shims that you can buy for the 2000 Tiger.  Any idea what bag is required BEFORE opening the engine up?
you have no idea of knowing

a lot of dealers will let you swap shims with them no charge ........well ok some will some won't

you can also sometimes bring everything back in spec by just moving shims from one position to another
ie. if #1 intake needed a 2.65 and #3 exhaust had a 2.65 but needed a 2.6
see how that works , sometimes ya get lucky .

DKWrider

Bike Bandit says Valve Shim Kit Refill Package includes 30 shims, five of each size.

Shim Size 1.20 - 1.45mm, 1.50 - 1.75mm, 1.80 - 2.05mm, 2.10 - 2.40mm, 2.45 - 2.65mm, 2.70 - 2.95mm, 3.00 - 3.25mm, 3.30 - 3.50mm

Same sizes in each bag.  Difference between the bags is OD size:  7.48, 8.90, and 9.48.  Is OD different for the different valves on each cylinder?  Or is one of these the right OD size for the 885i engine?  

Not having gotten into the engine yet, don't quite understand this OD difference.  Each bag is about $37.

Mustang

those will not work
tigers use 25 mm diameter shims and the thinnest thickness you can use is 2.0 mm
those shim kits by the bag are for dirt bikes like a honda CRF 450

DKWrider

Okay, thanks Mustang.  You always have great info.  Apparently Bike Bandit is not so smart.  These came up as accessory parts for a 2000 Tiger.  Buyer beware.

cosmo

Are the Tiger shims the same as Yamaha shims?? My old Trophy used the same as Yammy shims, and the Yamaha dealer was a LOT closer...

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Mustang

Quote from: "cosmo"Are the Tiger shims the same as Yamaha shims?? My old Trophy used the same as Yammy shims, and the Yamaha dealer was a LOT closer...

Cosmo

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4017

does anyone read the sticky threads ?