News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine Management Light

Started by LookoutMountainTiger, May 25, 2010, 12:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LookoutMountainTiger

The engine management warning light brightened on my 06' Girly today. Just got the 12,000 miles svc completed, done by myself and a buddy. I started it a couple of times in the shed before going out on the road and no problem. Is there anything I can do to get the light off before hauling it to a dealer 75 miles or should someone with the proper diagnostic tool do it. It is running very well with the tune up. THanks in advance for the help.

Mustang

need more info
when did the light come on
was it off and then came on after you went out for a ride
be more specific
what did you do for "tune up"

LookoutMountainTiger

Sorry Mustang should have been more specific, we did things listed below.

Throttle body adjust
New Plugs
coolant refresh
oil change
K&N filter
Valve check, were in spec
Gas filter

Started it a couple of times in the shed over the weekend after the work was completed, no light but when I started out on a ride today the light came on before I reached the highway, about 100 yds. By the way your foot pegs are great.

Mustang

try doing the 12 minute tune

start it and let it idle until the coolant fans come on , don't touch anything and just let it idle for 12 minutes after the fan comes on and then shut it off with the key after 12 minutes
it starts the learning curve over for the sensor and tps etc etc in the ECU

if that fails to do the light out start checking if you disturb any connectors which may have come unplugged

also if you had the battery unhooked it will need to go thru 3 heat and cool down cycles to extinguish the light  
in other word take it for three rides

Timbox2

Ive also just done the TB balance and I had the MIL light on, I have a tool to turn the light off, but  I think in my case it was because when I was doing the balance the sensor in the airbox was disconnected as well as the stepper motor
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

Yes the air box sensor will throw the light.  You can either drive it around for a few cycles and it will go off, or do the 12 minute tune, or use the tool to reset the light.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

LookoutMountainTiger

Thanks for the responses. I tried the 12 minute fix last night to no avail. I am going out directly to try the 3 cycle fix and will keep you guys posted.

JasonS

Quote from: "LookoutMountainTiger"Thanks for the responses. I tried the 12 minute fix last night to no avail. I am going out directly to try the 3 cycle fix and will keep you guys posted.

Remember that it is 3 full hot/cool cycles... meaning the temp needs to be way down for it to be considered a cycle...  hope it works for you.
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

EvilBetty

The 12 minute tune can be tricky the first time you do it.

The bike must be cool.

Touch NOTHING but the key clutch and starter switch during this process.  If you trip any other sensor you'll have to let the bike cool and start over.

Start the bike and let it run until the cooling fan comes on.

This starts the 12 minute clock.

After 12 minutes, shut off the key.

Next time you start it up all sensor data will be reset.

The bike may run a little funny till the ECU re calibrates.

LookoutMountainTiger

EB,
So you are saying I should let it run 12 min after the fan comes on, it ran about 6-7 min last when the fan came on and I shut it off after 12 min total, I should let it run a full 12 min after the fan comes on.

Thanks for the input.

EvilBetty

Correct.  When you hear the fan come on, look up at the clock or start a timer for 12 minutes (little more won't hurt).

LookoutMountainTiger

The 12 min run is over and the light is out. I so much appreciate you guys help, you are the best.

EvilBetty

Awesome.

You'll probably notice the throttle acting a little funny while the sensor data is learned by the ECU and it makes corrections.