News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Footpeg plates, a quick heads up

Started by Advwannabe, May 26, 2010, 04:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Back when I first got Tigger in 2006 I failed to notice that the T40 screws holding the footpeg bolts to the frame and the centerstand mounting bolts had worked themselves loose. One day I got Tigger hauled part of the way onto the centerstand, the allen key functioning as the end stop came loose and the whole assembly collapsed in a heap. Not fun.

Later when I joined this forum I learned that I was not the only one to have this happen. Despite assembling the whole shebang with locktite they eventually worked loose again, thankfully without the same consequences.

Anyway we are off on a long ride this weekend and while giving the bike a once over found the bolts loose again.

This doesn't seem to be a high vibration area. I've fitted Mustangs metal pegs and don't seem to have issues with vibes so the whole thing is a bit of a mystery.

Has anyone experienced this, found a solution and wants to share?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Mustang

safety wire the bolt heads like a race bike or aircraft if done correctly there is no way in hell they can work loose until you physically cut the wire
it will require drilling the bolt heads

http://www.whizwheels.com/Tips/safetywiring.html

http://www.mcraracing.com/wire.htm

http://robrobinette.com/safety_wire.htm

jphish

Yeah - ditto on my 06. Had them decide to unscrew while riding the bike home from purchase. Backed the screws with nylok nuts - so far so good. Drilling & safety wire probably more permanent / durable solution tho.

JasonS

My 06 had the same issue.....

it is one of those "this just shouldn't be happening" things that should result in a safety recall... having a peg fall off can be a serious issue... not bike should be made in such a way that vibrations, which are prevalent on a MC, can result in a factory screw/bolt backing out.

The tamper proof screws on my ST backed out... lost one and nearly had the ignition fall out... lol
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

NKL

my 06 has been fine done 19k and 7k of that by me. But I will keepan eye on them.
On another centre stand issue, mine seems to sit too far down and touches down before the foot pegs, is that the same on others?
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Advwannabe

Quote from: "NKL"my 06 has been fine done 19k and 7k of that by me. But I will keepan eye on them.
On another centre stand issue, mine seems to sit too far down and touches down before the foot pegs, is that the same on others?

Hey NKL,

Are you fully loaded when the stand touches down? My pegs skim the road first unloaded, with a pillion and especially hitting a bump cranked over the center stand grounds first.

Have some people sit on the bike while you watch, even with the suspension set up well the frame will rotate a little towards the rear under compression.

Apart from that something may be fouling the stand preventing it from tucking up all the way.

Thanks Mustang, all, looks like it happens and lockwiring is the way to go.

CHeers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

NKL

Thanks for the reply,
Yep fully loaded, nearly had me off on the way back from scotland last year, over a crest into a hollow whilst banked over, was bit of a shock!!.
Replaced the standard shock now so hopefully wont be so bad now, or I might grind the stops a bit to get it up further, at least I know its not just mine.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

delecti

Hi,
I have had the same prob, on my 06, no offence stang but wouldnt it look better with nyloc nuts on the inside than wired up at the front easier as well!

I agree that it is a safety issue.

Mark
silver 06 tigre
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Mustang

yeah but with the safety wire you have that cool race bike look  :roll:  :ImaPoser

nyloc nuts are probably fine ..safety wired is guaranteed to never come loose if done correctly

delecti

thats new a tiger with braces! :shock:
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?