News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pannier Locks

Started by EvilBetty, May 27, 2010, 06:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

I have 2 sets of OEM panniers.  I need to move the locks from one to the other.

What's the easiest way to do this?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

mikeybikey57

Had to do a similar job about a year ago, after buying a used OEM topbox without keys from fleabay.

You can do this job two ways; Either take the whole clasp/lock assembly off the panniers via the nuts on the inside of the pannier body and swap them over. While they're off, run a bead of silicone around the underside of the baseplate to help keep water out of your panniers.

The other option is to remove the egg shaped locking tang on the bottom of each lock barrel, which is held in by a small pair of cross head screws. Once they are off, the lock barrel can be pushed out from the bottom. It's best to do this slowly and with care, as the small brass locking pins are sprung and prone to jumping out.

Use Vaseline or a light grease around the outer faces of the lock barrel before dropping them into their new home and use a dab of threadlock on the crosshed scews when re-fitting the tangs (stops them falling out). :D

Hope this helps as I owe you one for helping me out with my TPS problem a while back.
There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

EvilBetty

Both methods I considered, but at first glance I though the latches were riveted.

Then I saw the two little screws but decided not to mess with them until I found out for sure.

Fully confident now.  I'll attack it tonight.

Thanks!
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

walker

putting a key in the lock barrel while you remove it will also keep the springs from going everywhere.... use the key to help you pull out the small cylinder, no mess, no fuss.

cosmo

Taken just one step further, this is how you 'key' the locks as well. Just take out the tumblers, and swop them 'round 'til they fit right with your key. You may end up with only three instead of the original five, but how secure do you think they are, anyway??

Cosmo

P.S. same works for the attaching locks.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.