News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Off Roading the Tiger

Started by Bob Tosi, June 01, 2010, 05:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

So I have been doing some off road "practicing" with my new beastie.  Been rding short tracks of 1 - 3 miles on some lava cap, gravel and dirt side roads.  
She's heavy and needs to be kept moving.  I find a line and keep the bike moving through it and try to be lite on the bars.  Use alot of body english to stear her around.  I find that you need to keep on the gas and ride the line out.  She gets squirrelly in the loose stuff but that could be my road tires.  Steep downhills are "SCARY" right now because of the tires.  

So pony up with the advice on how I should proceed.  Obviously I need to get some good off road tires......
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

aeronca

hey bob, talked to you a few times on adv( overthere im supercub). sounds like your figuering it all out. these guy's are top heavy to say the least, but  if you keep them moving there pretty docile. a good set of nob's will do you well. i dont run a good set so i suffer, this year will be different. picking up a 500lb  bike in the wet grass and mud (even laughing) sucks :lol:  so get a good set of tires.. practice riding while up on the pegs.  typical dirt bike stuff.  the most important thing is, just get out and ride(which it sounds like your doing), and remember it's a heavy pig in the dirt, so choose your path wisely. mudhen and fano and patrick should be chimin in soon :D     eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

its a heavy pig and the front wheel will wash out no matter what tire is on there  a knobby helps but will wear out fast , like really fast on the street .

even with a knobby on the front they like to fall over .................

it's a heavy pig with the weight up high , when it starts to go over you aint gonna stop it with any amount of body english

Nick Calne

It's too heavy for real off road work.  Shale tracks, fire roads, forest paths fine.  Anything requiring signifcant weight shift will have you on your arse as Mustang suggests.

That's why Triumph needs to make the next Tiger significantly lighter.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

this is an "OFF ROAD" bike

the little one with out riggers is the one I ride

not !

jphish

Hey Mustang - i see at least seven 2 wheelers there! (well...actually 1 appears to be a 4 wheeler) but anyway - Aint there a quota ?  My wife gives me grief about 4 in the garage. I must forward this pic in self defense. j :wink:

Mustang

Half of em belong to Mrs. Mustang  :shock:

Bob Tosi

So here's proof, not much proof but at least it's good old red dirt.LOL

JetdocX

Yeah, get rid of the road rubber and get some Anakee II's.  

The front only washes out if you let off the gas, so....

RAMMING SPEED, MR. SCOTT! :twisted:
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"RAMMING SPEED, MR. SCOTT! :twisted:

:shock: Captain - Ma Anakee's 'll no tak onymore.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

abruzzi

I'd did some moderate off roading on my steamer, and I was amazed at how much better it handled the loosed stuff once I got TKCs on there.  It's still, a pig but it was a vast improvement.  Whatever year bike you have: get crash bars, pseudo-knobbies, and a friend to come along to help pick it up.

Geof

Bob Tosi

QuoteWhatever year bike you have: get crash bars, pseudo-knobbies, and a friend to come along to help pick it up.

:ImaPoser

JetdocX

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"
QuoteWhatever year bike you have: get crash bars, pseudo-knobbies, and a friend to come along to help pick it up.

:ImaPoser

He's absolutely right.
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

JetdocX,

you going to do the Wildwood 400?

JetdocX

I'm trying to go.  You worried you might need a prts bike out there? :lol:
From parts unknown.