News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

17 Tooth front sprocket

Started by WildeKurt, September 10, 2004, 05:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildeKurt

I'm considering changing the stock front sprocket  to improve low speed controllability off road.  Anyone tried this?  On my KLR I would do the same thing.  It was easy enough to do by the side of the road when leaving the highway and made a HUGE difference.  Nice wheelies too!

Kurt

robbo

I have, it makes the Tiger very lively and improves acceleration quite a bit. It adds about 250 to 300 RPM, that is where I used to get 60MPH at about 4000RPM now its more like 4300RPM.

On the up side I have shocked more than one or two sports bike riders by leaving them standing coming out of corners or on short straits where they havenÌt got enough room to get their RPMs up into the power band.  But at the end of the day itÌs a Tiger so if you come up against a sports bike on a long strait you will get left for dead but then again sports bikes cant do half of what a Tiger can.

I havenÌt noticed any difference to the fuel consumption but Im sure there is. I still manage to get over 200miles between fill ups.

PS yip the wheelies are good.....

Robbo
best Regards

Robbo

Cache

Quote from: "WildeKurt"I'm considering changing the stock front sprocket  to improve low speed controllability off road.  Anyone tried this?  On my KLR I would do the same thing.  It was easy enough to do by the side of the road when leaving the highway and made a HUGE difference.  Nice wheelies too!

Kurt

Tried the 17.  Pulled great off the line, and no doubt better off road, mostly due to the lower 1st.  However, the increased RPM spoiled my cruising range and the extra shifting wasn't worth it.  Went back to stock after a season.  WouldnÌt do it again.
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine

robbo

Ye most definitely more gear changes and a bit buzzier at cruising speed. Its great fun on the twisties and B roads but to short for the A roads and motorways, itÌs a trade off I guess.

Im still deciding whether or not to change back before the winter as its much smoother with the longer gearing and would be less likely to cause wheel spin.

Robbo
best Regards

Robbo

robbo

On the subject of changing sprockets can anyone tell me the torque setting for the front sprocket. It would be nice to be able to swap back and forth depending on my mood.
best Regards

Robbo

WildeKurt

I put the 17 on yeseterday.  Way cool in first, but I believe what's said about the extra shifting.  I plan on using it down in the Copper Canyon area.  Not sure if I'll switch back to the 18 for the 1700 mile ride down though...

I used 50NM as the torque.  It's a pretty easy change.  need 10mm socket with extension and a 36mm socked (1/2 inch drive and extension).  I think I could manage the whole op. next time in unde 1/2 hour.

Kurt

robbo

Quote from: "WildeKurt"I put the 17 on yeseterday.  I used 50NM as the torque.  It's a pretty easy change.  need 10mm socket with extension and a 36mm socked (1/2 inch drive and extension).  I think I could manage the whole op. next time in unde 1/2 hour.

Kurt

Thanks Wildekurt, is the 50nm from the book or did you just come up with it as a good number.?  

Im still undecided on the subject of changing back to the 18, its only 300rpm so Im not sure if the buzzieness is real or just my imagination. It definitely improves the pickup in first and second and the 6th gear roll on is much improved. In fact there is little need to change out of 6th if your not in a hurry.

robbo
best Regards

Robbo

WildeKurt

I haven't done any highway miles on it yet, but I'm used to having the motor wound out when going 80+ mph.  My beemer only had a 5 speed.  We'll see though.

The 50Nm is just a guess.  It didn't seem particularly tight when I took the original off.  I was going to check it originallly with my beam-type tourque wrench but couldn't find it.  Anyone else know for sure?

Kurt

robbo

Kildekurt,

I to get myself a Haynes manual, they donÌt do one specifically for a Tiger but they do have one for fuel injected triples. The manual says the torque setting for the front sprocket nut is 132Nm which is pretty FT. I donÌt feel like buying a torque wrench big enough to do this so I think I will just guess.

IÌve decided to change back to the 18er because apart from first gear I figure I can get the same effect by simply using a lower gear.
best Regards

Robbo

Badger

Quote from: "robbo"On the subject of changing sprockets can anyone tell me the torque setting for the front sprocket. It would be nice to be able to swap back and forth depending on my mood.

I have just looked in Triumph's service manual for the 955 Tiger and is is shown as 132Nm.

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

robbo

Thanks badger,

I changed back to the 18er tonight, havenÌt had a chance to try it out yet. I donÌt have a torque wrench big enough for that so I just used a big breaker bar and did it FT (F$£&ing Tight ).

Robbo
best Regards

Robbo